Careful where you point your green laser pointer

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Kaustav

Careful where you point your green laser pointer

Post by Kaustav »

... because thecoppers are already on to you if you're not careful!
Kaustav Bhattacharya
>> http://kaustav.uk.com/unisphere/ - An online magazine about Astronomy, Science, Social Media and Society.
>> Follow me on Twitter @jupiterorbit
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Kaustav
Yes, I had already seen some TV news coverage.
Quite frankly I think amateur astronomers should accept a complete moritorium on the use of lasers.
I personally do not see how we can complain about light pollution and think we are special cases with regars to using lasers responsibly.
I think lasers must now be banned completely. For astronomers to think we should be treated differently to other people would be nonsense as far as I am concerned.
Best of luck from Cliff
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Yes, I agree with Cliff...and anyway if you are pointing at a star for example how could you be certain that there was not a plane up there that you could not see or hear? maf
astronomerjim

Post by astronomerjim »

Plus, that would be an excuse for a lot of people...claiming to be using a telescope and it 'happened' to hit the plane.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
Having thought about this problem further i'll now go as far as to say that our national astronomical bodies should get together and officially recommend a total ban on the use of lasers most certainly by amateur astronomers. There might be a case for allowing the use of lasers by specifically authorised professional astronical observatories but nothing more.
Best of luck from Cliff
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

This subject was mentioned in The Mail today...but amteur astronomers did not get a mentions, only jobs and terrorists!
As an aside: I find the red lasers used at lectures pretty annoying too.....speakers are inclined to flash 'em all over the screen! A nice wooden pointer does nicely, even a bamboo cane. maf.- the Luddite