Sir Patrick Moore

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

stella

Sir Patrick Moore

Post by stella »

The death of Sir Patrick Moore has been announced.
He died at the age of 89.

Tributes are already pouring in.
PaulB

Re: Sir Patrick Moore

Post by PaulB »

I've just heard the news myself. It is a very sad day for all Astronomers both amateur and professional.

BBC's Sky at Night will not be the same with him at the helm.

RIP Sir Patrick.
Paul Anthony Brierley
Observation Co-ordinator for.
Macclesfield Astronomical Society
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/
Leslie Ewan

Post by Leslie Ewan »

The night sky wont be the same tonight,we all owe him so much,he'll never be forgotten.RIP Patrick.
peteuplink

Post by peteuplink »

He will be greatly missed by many. A sad day indeed :(
Kevvek

Post by Kevvek »

As a teenager (25+ years ago) I remember loving The Sky at Night, and the interesting character that Sir Patrick was. I also remember his sense of humour as well!
Like many others, his was almost certainly the majority of the inspiration for the interest that I have now, and still have the Philips book Guide to Stars and Planets that he wrote that was bought for me as a present 20 odd years ago.

Goodbye Sir Patrick.

Kevin
W.O. Megrez 110mm, 22x100 bins, Strathspey 10x50 marine, Komz 8x30 bins
Coronado PST
Lzos 20x50 (with solar filter for quick solar observing)
G Burt

Post by G Burt »

I'm one of the multitude of astronomers, amateur and professional alike, who received enthusiastic and friendly help from Sir Patrick.

I was researching an article on Transient Lunar Phenomena and we spent a fascinating couple of hours discussing the subject. He even lent me some documents, including some personal notes typed on his ancient Woodstock typewriter.

We won't see his like again but he has left a tremendous and enduring legacy to astronomy.

Best Wishes,

Geoff Burt
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

What next? Burial in Westminster Abbey? With a little ingenuity, the BBC might be able to arrange to have his brain, complete with electrodes and voice-synthesizer, immersed in a retort of warm nutrients, so as to squeeze, say, another five years of astro-chat out of him.
Thanks to the media, the adulation lavished on this GCSE level astronomy populariser beggars belief: a larger-than-life character, flanked by a fawning acolytes; one notable sycophant went so far as to describe this chap as "the father of English astronomy"!
Again, thanks to the media, this character virtually hijacked amateur astronomy in Britain. Some of us can't avoid thinking that, with the coming of Patrick Moore, the Muse of Amateur Astronomy lost her innocence. What was once regarded as a romantic, even slightly eccentric, scientific hobby with a strong DIY component, became first and foremost in the Moore era - a commercial proposition.
brian
Mogget

Post by Mogget »

Very sad news indeed :cry:
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

brian livesey wrote:Blah, blah...
Some may think it a little too soon to express these opinions about the co-founder and former president of this society, especially as there may be some reading who knew and were friends of a man dead only a few hours.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Davej

Post by Davej »

Sir Patrick was an inspiration to me when I first saw Sky At Night back in the 60's. This inspiration and enthusiasm he shared with so many will live on.
He will be greatly missed.

Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
orson

Post by orson »

brian livesey wrote:What next? Burial in Westminster Abbey? With a little ingenuity, the BBC might be able to arrange to have his brain, complete with electrodes and voice-synthesizer, immersed in a retort of warm nutrients, so as to squeeze, say, another five years of astro-chat out of him.
Thanks to the media, the adulation lavished on this GCSE level astronomy populariser beggars belief: a larger-than-life character, flanked by a fawning acolytes; one notable sycophant went so far as to describe this chap as "the father of English astronomy"!
Again, thanks to the media, this character virtually hijacked amateur astronomy in Britain. Some of us can't avoid thinking that, with the coming of Patrick Moore, the Muse of Amateur Astronomy lost her innocence. What was once regarded as a romantic, even slightly eccentric, scientific hobby with a strong DIY component, became first and foremost in the Moore era - a commercial proposition.
Just who the hell do you think you are???? You are a piece of filth for writing this on this day. You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

If they throw me off this forum for saying this, I don't care because I would not want share it with scum like you!
Ian Lee

Post by Ian Lee »

So sad to hear the news of Sir Patrick Moore's passing. He was an inspiration to me and he was always so enthusiastic. I wrote to him several times during the 1960's and he always kindly replies to them all. He will be greatly missed.
127 mm Maksutov
70 mm f10 Refractor
Coronado PST
10 x 50 Bins

Starry-eyed and laughing
G Burt

Post by G Burt »

At the beginning of Sir Patrick's autobiography he wrote, 'If the total sales of this book amount to fourteen copies, I will not be in the least surprised....'

I couldn't resist writing to say that the other thirteen readers must have enjoyed the book as much as I did.

A few days later the reply came back, hammered out on the indestructible Woodstock, 'Much to my surprise, the book is doing very well!'

Best Wishes,

Geoff
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Brian L,
You have expressed similar sentiments in the past.
In very bad taste indeed.
It was in bad taste then and it is in worse taste now.
When i was 16 he replied thoughtfully to my letters.
I did not agree with all his views over the years, and we had some personal exchanges where I did not quite agree with him.
But he has done more for amateur astronomy than most.

The fault here is with you Brian, not with Patrick or the media.

David
stella

Post by stella »

David,
Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, I submit that it is not up to you to attribute
where the blame lies.
I would point out that the B.B.C. has broadcast statements that he was "a curmudgeon,
difficult, truculent and awkward to get on with".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20660908