Observatories

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

Zeke

Observatories

Post by Zeke »

My son is a budding astronomer and has an AstroMaster 76EQ Telescope and he wants to know how cheaply he can house it outside.
Any suggestions greatfully received.
Never worry!
Konus 500.
8x30 binos.
Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80
David Frydman

Re: Observatories

Post by David Frydman »

Hi,
In our climate I would think a small scope would last better indoors.
How much does it weigh?
You could maybe mark the positions of the tripod feet and keep it set up inside and just carry it outside.
I suppose a small shed could house it, but is it advisable.
In the corner of a garage another possibility if there is no room indoors.
I am sure others will advise.

regards, David
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Thanks for that.
This is his telescope:
http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/cele ... 130eq.html
Never worry!
Konus 500.
8x30 binos.
Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I thought it was a 76mm refractor it seems to be a 130mm reflector, quite different.
I would not leave a reflector in a garage as the exhaust fumes could strip the mirror coats as happened to me pre catalytic converters.

Also as it is a reflector not a refractor I would not leave it outside unless very well protected from damp.

It may take 20 minutes to cool to ambient temperature if kept indoors but it will last a lot longer.

In the summer maybe leave outside protected but not in damp unless you just have no room indoors, so then a proper slide off roof shed might be needed.

regards, David
Brian

Post by Brian »

Agree with David's comments here - the EQ76 is a small reflector as well.

Places like eg. Rother Valley Optics sell telescope covers (like a big bag that fits over the 'scope and mount) but these aren't intended to be in permanent use, maybe more for overnight use at star parties. Even then I'd worry about bad weather - especially high winds - if I left a tripod-mounted telescope outside permanently. A pillar-mounted 'scope might be less inclined to tip over in wind, but I'd still be worried.

I keep my ST102 in a locked garden shed, covered with a base sheet of cotton and a top layer of polythene, both loosely laid over to allow air circulation. In fact I've left gaps along the edges where the shed roof overlaps the sides (could be a couple of inches wide, the length of the sides) to allow air to circulate through. I don't heat and in winter the thing keeps pretty much dry inside. The shed has a double door and I can carry the 'scope in and out with the tripod attached and ready to use.

Some people have made use of those plastic "Garden Storage or Toolshed" devices that you can buy from DIY stores. I think they are light enough that they could be used as a telescope cover but can be lifted away for observing. Just need to anchor them down securely though :)

HTH,

Once you've chosen your best observing spot and set up the 'scope properly, then as David says, mark the positions of the tripod feet so you can return it accurately to the same position each time you use it.
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed