Astronomy accommodation in Cornwall

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Robin Scagell

Astronomy accommodation in Cornwall

Post by Robin Scagell »

While on holiday in Cornwall the other week I dropped in at Eddington Lodge, a new facility offering accommodation and telescopes for astronomers. The site is about five miles inland from Bude, near Kilkhampton, and is more or less on top of a hill so there are good horizons all round and light pollution should be very low though I didn't see the site at night.

The owners, Jon and Hannah Davey, bought the place just a couple of years ago and have put up three large wood cabins for holiday accommodation. The timber walls are very thick and are double-walled with insulation between, so they are very substantial. Each one has a double and a twin bedroom, so it sleeps four. They are hoping to attract the usual holidaymakers in summer, but they have also built three observatories for the use of guests and will give the non-astronomers guided tours of the sky using the Dobsonians. Two run-off sheds contain 20-inch Dobsonians, while the third, a dome, contains a 130 mm William Optics ED refractor with guidescope on an NEQ6 mount. There is a CCD to go with it. When I visited, the scope had only just been set up and no images were available, though I hope that Jonathan and Hannah will start contributing to the Forum in due course.

I was impressed by their set-up and I think they will get a lot of interest from astronomers as they will remain open all year. Prices are of course lower out of season. The weekly cost of a cabin out of season is £385, though it rises to £826 in season. How you compete for the use of the telescopes is something I think they have yet to encounter -- if everyone wants to use the refractor for photography rather than the Dobsonians there will have to be a rota.

I'm attaching a few photos I took at the time. Their website is http://www.eddington-lodge.co.uk/. I should add that I have no connection with them nor am I getting a free stay! But I think their enterprise deserves to be successful.
Attachments
The astronomy field.
The astronomy field.
_MG_1084.JPG (104.92 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
The dome plus the friendlier of their two cats.
The dome plus the friendlier of their two cats.
_MG_1083.JPG (119.42 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
The 130 mm WO refractor in its dome.
The 130 mm WO refractor in its dome.
_MG_1081.JPG (84.43 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Jon and Hannah and a 20" Dob.
Jon and Hannah and a 20" Dob.
_MG_1075.JPG (125.09 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
A cabin interior. Heating is by a wood-burner -- effective, if not as convenient as just turning a switch. Usual facilities -- TV and DVD player etc.
A cabin interior. Heating is by a wood-burner -- effective, if not as convenient as just turning a switch. Usual facilities -- TV and DVD player etc.
_MG_1065.JPG (101.72 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
The cabin area.
The cabin area.
_MG_1063.JPG (115.8 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
David Frydman

Re: Astronomy accommodation in Cornwall

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Robin,
It looks nice.
The grass should improve Seeing.
It may get soggy when wet, but on a hill it should drain well.

regards, David
Eddington Lodge

Post by Eddington Lodge »

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your kind words and your feedback on our venture. I think you're right, we will need to have some kind of rota if there are lots of people wanting to use the refractor telescope rather than the dobs. We also have a tracking 12" newt and 8" newt if times get very busy.

Also in the accommodation there are electric radiators as well as the log burner to heat the cabins and we would be happy to offer SPA members a 10% discount on our standard off-peak prices September-June).

Once again thank you for your feedback and you are welcome to drop by anytime :) I'll sure I'll be posting some of our astrophotography images here soon too!

Kind regards,

Jon
M54

Post by M54 »

Looks interesting, my only "problem" is the lack of where it exactly is.
A postal address and a post code would help enormously, that way people can look up precisely where it is located. Google maps.

I can get Bude and Windsor Farm, but that is all.
How far and which direction Windsor Farm is from Bude not a clue.
Robin Scagell

Post by Robin Scagell »

I made exactly the same point to Hannah when she first contacted me!

The postcode is EX23 9RZ but this takes you to a location some distance away. Here's a link to the correct spot:

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=227464 ... &A=Y&Z=115

Robin
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Very strange.
EX suggests Exeter postcode many miles away in Devon.
Perhaps mail comes from Exeter, which may be the hub.
There are regular night flights delivering mail and horses to Exeter, which are always interesting as they often get direct routing.

regards, David
Vega

Post by Vega »

Fantastic, there's also the brilliant Astro-adventures in Devon but this place looks even better! Nice to see these places popping up.

Cheers
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |