The public weather-eye

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

The public weather-eye

Post by brian livesey »

Despite the fact that the Met. Office has one of the world's fastest supercomputers ( faster even than Carol Vorderman ), the computer is limited by the amount of data available for it to work on.
The Met. Office is asking the public to install miniature meteorological stations in our gardens to assist it in providing better weather forecasts. Better forecasts or not, we'll still need our umberellas!
brian
David Frydman

Re: The public weather-eye

Post by David Frydman »

It won't work, as they won't be up to the necessary standards.
There are already numerous personal weather stations and they are not consistent even though supposedly up to standard.

Regards,
David
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David & Brian
I suspect David is right. We've had a semi-simple weather station set up for a few years. However, I soon found several issues, some I sorted out, but others I got fed up with. I suppose if I'd become a dedicated weather forecaster I might have sorted things out. However, I didn't want to get too good at weather forecasting in case I had to go on "Strictly Come Dancing".
Furthermore, I tend to think of weather forecasting like advanced cosmology - a bit beyond me !
Best wishes from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Never mind Cliff. Next time there's a drought, you could try the Apache rain dance. :wink:
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian
I've been scratching my head for a few days trying to think of a reply. It just occurred to me, my computer is getting a bit ancient & for some time now I've been wondering if I can afford to buy a replacement.
It just occurred to me since the new Met Office PC seems a bit too much for them (I wonder if it will fit in our old shed) they could do a swop for mine. If they'll arrange transport I might take it off their hands.
from Cliff
M54

Post by M54 »

So the Met Office did not actually need a new supercomputer, they needed more data for the old one in order to get better forecasts.

I seem to recall them saying that now they will be able to forecast up to 5 days in advance with accuracy. I equally notice that the "accurate" forecasts are only for 2 days ahead. They still manage to pad the forecast out with what occurred in the previous 12 hours also.

Cannot see people setting up weather stations will help as I would expect the next problem preventing accurate forecasts being that they have too much data coming in to process so Tuesdays weather forecast will be delayed until Wednesday 10:00AM.

Any one else in the Anglia region noticed that there tends to be no weather after 16:00. The forecast literally ends at 16:00 then goes to the next day.

Exeter is not far from the sea, couldn't they find a better bit of seaweed?
Maybe a fresher bit would help.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Does the Met. Office's plan for weather-prediction outsourcing to the general public mean that we'll be on the same pay as the meteorologists?
brian
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Look here! Weather forecasting doesn't need garden stations or computers. I can give Yorkshire forecasts as follows; short term - if I decide to get my motorcycle out it'll rain next 2 hours: medium term - if t'wife decides we're gonna decorate next week it'll be wall to wall sunshine: long term - we get fed up of the weather here and book a trip abroad it'll be record temps in uk then.
Brian

Post by Brian »

So true! :lol:
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
During today's BBC morning weather forecast there was a brief mention that there are 100 weather stations around the UK whilst the presenter made the verbal comments a weather station was displayed on the TV screen. There was no mention as to WEATHER or not all existing 100 weather stations are exactly the same KIT as the one displayed, or are manned by professional weather forecasters. The kit displayed in a white "box" looked a bit like a beehive in size, its door was opened but I couldn't recognise any gear inside.
I vaguely remember many years ago seeing an item on TV about a married couple (in the Burnley area I think) who had been providing gen to the Met Office for quite a long time - I think they were unpaid amateurs.
From Cliff
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Cliff, I recall that a noted amateur astronomer near Nottingham also had an official kit.
kid thoughts Bob
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

"kid" should be kind. Kid results from melted synapses in the current heatwave.
Blob
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Blob,
I kid you not.

There are many amateur weather people.
I think you have to meet certain standards for professional use.

Regards,
David
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David
As I mentioned previously, a recent item on BBC Breakfast TV mentioned that there are currently 100 weather stations around the UK but no explanation given such as who is manning them. COULD the amateurs you just mentioned be manning all those mysterious weather stations or some of them.
Best wishes from Cliff
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

"The kit displayed in a white "box" looked a bit like a beehive in size". I presume this had loovred sides and was a standard "Stevenson Screen"! regards maf