Logging On

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

joe
Site Admin

Logging On

Post by joe »

Does everyone else now have to log on every time they visit the forum even with "Log me on automatically" enabled?
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
RMSteele

Re: Logging On

Post by RMSteele »

Joe, I don't have to login at all to navigate the forum or to read messages. I don't have "login automatically" set. If I want to reply or to start a new thread then, obviously, I have to login. Hope this is what you are asking for! Thank you for having the forum "main menued". Kind thoughts Bob
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Thanks for responding Bob. Yes, you can navigate the forum as a "guest" but I like to be logged in automatically to see the "New Post" indicators. If you are doing that two or three times a day it gets a bit tedious to have to log on each time. Anyway, if there's a "Log me on automatically each visit" facility it ought to bloomin' well work. Need to check it out.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Hi Joe, logging on automatically works OK for me in Firefox, you may need to check your cookie/security settings in your browser. I do think the site should be https though as we are sending passwords across the internet in clear text. Not a massive problem for a forum like this but it is best practice.
M54

Post by M54 »

Your login details will be kept in a cookie and that the browser may be set to delete cookies on exit - usually Exit of the browser by use of the File-Exit (Firefox, others will/may differ).

My browser is set to delete all cookies on exit but I also tend to clean out cookies with a small cleaner.

Cannot see the SPA cookies displayed, so not sure what it is nor where at present. Seems odd.

I delete mine as they fill up, the PC runs slower and I occasionally get a Google Analytics cookie that really slows the system down. That one requires me to find it and delete manually as for some reason Google have managed to get it classified as "not a cookie" so it doesn't go.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Yes me really annoying BUT it is your browser NOT the forum, you will have to clear browsing history and cookies then re log into sites and that will work
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Yes, I've tried deleting cookies/history etc on both Chrome and IE but still no joy. It only happened after the website update. It's probably something I'm not doing right but I can't think what it might be. It's an irritation but not the end of the world.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

doesn't work for me either :(
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you