It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:07 am

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:41 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I remember some years ago there was a thread here concerning the book 'The Haunted Observatory -Curiousities from the Astronomer's Cabinet " by Richard Baum. Having corresponded with Richard perhaps around 1995-ish, I have always been on the lookout for a copy on the used market and finally I came across one on the Oxfam on line Internet site. It was reduced in price to under £5+ p&p. It came today. Completely "as new" with a couple of extra points of interests too! Firstly the author has written this signed note on the inner page...." To Bill & Pam. A reminder of the 'old' days. With this best wishes Richard Baum 20/08/07". Also enclosed is letter addressed to "Dear Bill", it contains list a few printing errors, and some personal stuff. This letter was dated the same as the dedication and no doubt was sent with the book to Bill & Pam. Who were they?
I believe Richard Baum died quite recently.
After all that, I am now looking through the book...looks to very interesting indeed. Rather reminiscent in part to Ashbrook's "Astronomical Scrapbook". Regards maf

Last edited by mike a feist on Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:00 pm 

H.G.Wells wrote a short, spooky story, titled "In the Avu Observatory".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:33 am 

Mike
I can't say I knew Richard Baum well, but think of him as a real astronomer. I met him though only very briefly once, having read "The Haunted Observatory", & corresponded with him occasionally. I gather he died a year or so back, badly hurt by his wife's death. He was an artist & his main practical astronomical interest was observing the night sky, particularly drawing planets & near deep sky objects with relatively small refractors & encouraging others to do the same.
I hope his son Julian is OK.
from Cliff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:08 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Hello Cliff, yes, the enclosed letter mentions how upset he was by his wife Audrey's death in 2005 and the book itself has an "In Loving Memory of Audrey ...". I found an obituary for Richard on the BAA site ( he died in 2017) although was only able to read the first page... Probably because I am not a member of the Association. Regards mike.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:29 am 

I have this book also. It is a very good read. I also have his book "In Search of Planet Vulcan" This is also a very good read.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/