Pope sacks Chief Astronomer

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

rvbest

Pope sacks Chief Astronomer

Post by rvbest »

Hi All

I heard the Pope has sacked his chief astronomer over the "Inteligent design theory" It seems the Pope favours the Adam and Eve theory and that God plays the controlling hand in evolution whereas the chief astronomer actually favours Darwins theory of evolution.

Anyway with a conflict of interes the Pope sacked him..................Gulp Crikey!!!! Not watched it yet but from what Ive heard maybe theres more to The Da Vinci Code than I first thought LOL.
Doesnt seem we have really advanced very far from the era where we were told the World is flat and that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

rich
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

I've never fully understood why so many religious establishments cannot tolerate sensible polite debate. Instead they seem to need to be hierarchical - everybody believing what the guy at the top says.

As "papal infallibility" applies only to matters of religious doctrine, seems that his support for ID is covered by the infallibility caluse. Thus, in theory all Catholics should now be supporting ID and rejecting evolution by natural selection.

Ian
john.wheeldon

Re: Pope sacks Chief Astronomer

Post by john.wheeldon »

rvbest wrote:Doesnt seem we have really advanced very far from the era where we were told the World is flat and that the Sun revolves around the Earth.
When did they tell us something different then ?
John W
PST, Antares Sentinel, MC70, Canon 15x45IS
Vega

Post by Vega »

True.... most religions are "hierarchical - everybody believing what the guy at the top says".

However on the other side of the coin, not one theory can explain why the universe is here and how its creation started. Not even the great "intelligent design theory". We know how the universe evolved seconds after it existed but what made it exist ? (We know it was "A Big bang"... but that doesn't explain much either) :roll:

Maybe this is why these "almost but not quite" complete theories are rejected by most people and over half the world prefer's to support a religion or hierarchial information.

As for my own beliefs, I simply cannot decide either way. I have seen/realised things which compliment both religious beliefs and the more theoretical scientific beliefs. If only we knew the answers, then we could say goodbye to the killing others because of their beleifs! :roll:
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |
john.wheeldon

Post by john.wheeldon »

Vega wrote: If only we knew the answers, then we could say goodbye to the killing others because of their beleifs!
Sadly I'm afraid we'd just come up with another reason.
John W
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Vega wrote:We know how the universe evolved seconds after it existed but what made it exist ?
The thing is, you'll never get out of that one. Once you've found the thing that made our universe exist, you'll then be asking what made that thing itself exist.

God isn't a sensible answer to that conundrum, for the following reason:

What made God exist?

Deity believers would say, "ah well - that's not a reasonable question. God just is".

Well I never. Why can't that apply to the universe, too? :wink:

Cheers

Paul
200mm f6 Revelation 8 Dob
Bins: 10 x 50 & 8 x 21
Vega

Post by Vega »

fair comment... I need to sit down, I've got a headache :? LOL

Hell... do we really need to know ? Let's just sit back and marvel at it. We can only wonder
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |
Phil Rice

Post by Phil Rice »

I heard the Pope has sacked his chief astronomer over the "Inteligent design theory"

Is this true? Where is the source. I am interested as a work colleauge of mine has told me that the catholic church has accepted Darwinian evolution as scientifically valid.

I would like to know

Thanks

Phil
70mm Ranger
6" Dob (Oldham Optics home made)
6" Meade AR
20" David Lukehurst Dob (arrived!)
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Phil Rice wrote:I heard the Pope has sacked his chief astronomer over the "Inteligent design theory"

Is this true? Where is the source. I am interested as a work colleauge of mine has told me that the catholic church has accepted Darwinian evolution as scientifically valid.

I would like to know

Thanks

Phil
I don't know where rvbest read it but one of the national UK papers reported it in the late summer.
Ian
john.wheeldon

Post by john.wheeldon »

It was in the Daily Mail for one:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1811
John W
dale22

Post by dale22 »

in the last 100 years we have learn't more about the universe than 5000 years previous,and the more we learn about it the more religious theories fade away a lot carn't accept that and thats why you get trouble in this world.

dale
brian livesey

Vulgarising evolution..

Post by brian livesey »

Some people have vulgarised evolution as being ONLY survival of the fittest, the implication being that the "weak" always go to the wall, but it's more complicated than that.
For one thing, there are many examples of mutual aid (i.e. cooperation) in the animal world.
For another thing, evolution can occur without reference to survival of the fittest. A species can be perfectly adapted to its environment (i.e. it doesn't have to be "weak" to become extinct or marginalised), but if another species has a slight evolutionary edge, it will tend to produce more offspring, increasing the chances of survival.
brian
rvbest

Post by rvbest »

Phew stirred up quite a debate eh LOL.

Sorry for my late reply yes read it in The Mail after a friend mentioned he had read it I was intrigued too.

Whats always makes me laugh is that whenever incredibly complex topics like Evolution, Creation ect ect are discussed man kind always seems to crave a simple one line answer. Being a simple kind of person I believe it can be answered in one of two ways

1. Its simple everything is as it is because it is!
OR
2. The answer is so complicated its far more complicated than an infinate amount of equations or text. Forget trying to wrap it all up in something so limiting as something like TEXT OR SPEECH the pathetically simple things mankind relies upon to convey his thoughts and answers.

I'm sure if we actually were able to meet God and asked him what IS the answer behind everything he'd say I cannot explain to you because you are a simple limited sense organism that I only empowered the ablity of a few of the required senses like perhaps Vision, Sound, Speech and perhaps Gravity. To understand more you'll need more reasons of understanding.

For example if i said to you go and boil an egg with a pan and a fire you'd say "I cant I need some water" What truly makes us believe we will understand the true meaning of everything?

Geezz im gonna take a break now thats all my lunch break gone thinking that up :oops:

rich
astrotones

Post by astrotones »

I'm sure if we actually were able to meet God and asked him what IS the answer behind everything he'd say
42 :wink:

I agree with your thoughts Rich :)
john.wheeldon

Post by john.wheeldon »

astrotones wrote: 42
Or : we apologise for the inconvenience