Calling all Teens!

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Ashera.G

Calling all Teens!

Post by Ashera.G »

I am a 15 year old GCSE astronomy student(I'm taking the course by distance learning), I am taking 3 A-levels at the moment, and hopefully next year I will begin my first year of Physics A-levels. I have only just recently joined, and I am some what nervous when it comes to writing comments or replying (usually because i can never work out how to even reply :? ).

I have found that not many people actually know much about astronomy, in fact everyone (including even my maths teacher) I have asked, have I received the same answer 'Oh so can you read palms as well as horoscopes.' :roll: Its frustrating to know that people don't actually know the difference between astrology and astronomy, and knowing that no one you know actually takes an interest to the stars.

I hope I'm not the only one who finds this occurrence on a day to day basis?

^^

Ashera :roll:
For what we see may just be stars, but to me they are the sight my eyes possess, and the beat of my weak heart.
12dstring

Post by 12dstring »

Welcome to the forum Ashera,
You're not alone!
I was starting my Physics A-level 2 years ago, and also starting my interest in astronomy. I didn't know anyone who knew much about astronomy, I even seemed to know more than my physics teachers :? and don't even get me started on people who think it's called astrology!
One thing I've found though is that most people still seem to find meteor showers, eclipses...etc quite interesting.

Don't feel nervous, when I first found the forum a few years back I was a bit apprehensive about posting. But I found everyone very friendly and welcoming, and also very knowledgable :D
Dave

Telescopes: Skywatcher Explorer-150 + Skywatcher ED80
Cameras: SPC900NC (SC1.5 & SC4.25 - both cooled) + Canon 350D (ACF modded)
http://www.12dstring.me.uk/astro.htm
ajb

Post by ajb »

I even read on a telescope kit endorsed by the university of Oxford that said something like "you can now enjoy astrology" on the box.

This telescope was for sale in the Works book shop. I hope they were there on the cheap due to the huge error.

What a sad state of affairs. People don't know the difference between science and mumbo jumbo. This country makes me very sad and I am not very hopeful of the future. :(
joe
Site Admin

Re: Calling all Teens!

Post by joe »

Ashera.G wrote:'Oh so can you read palms as well as horoscopes.' :roll:
"But it's only a bit of fun!" - Often the annoying response when you point out their mistake. :roll: Oh, and welcome Ashera.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
barf

Post by barf »

i get that all the time from a lad at work, he does it to wind me up!
'your into astronomy arn't you?, im an aries...' he says,
i now tell him that his future holds a swift kick in the cobblers :lol:

it is sad that so few people can tell science from rubbish. But you cant really blame teachers, most older teachers had to do very specific degrees to get their teaching qualification. Im lucky really, my degree is on the open university, and then onto a PGCE to become a teacher (hopefully in 2 years time!) and i can, and have, added a good astronomy course into it.

See if you can get a number of other students interested and start a club? the only way to change people is to encourage them to learn

Martin
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Hi,
Ajb said:
What a sad state of affairs. People don't know the difference between science and mumbo jumbo. This country makes me very sad and I am not very hopeful of the future.
I think it's an even sadder state of affairs, when 'teachers' regardless of their subject, don't know the difference.

Ashera said:
...in fact everyone (including even my maths teacher) I have asked, have I received the same answer 'Oh so can you read palms as well as horoscopes.'
And may I say hi and welcome to you Ashera, hope you find more of an astronomy education here, which I'm sure you will. :wink:
Hawk (yes, that's my real 1st name)
Skywatcher Explorer 150P
Nikon D2x
KateTheGreatMate

Post by KateTheGreatMate »

I just turned 20 in August so not really a teen any more :( but, yes, I have the same problem. I get called a geek a lot by my housemates, but when I actually point at a tiny point of light and say "look, there's Saturn!" they are suddenly very interested!

Teachers...hmm...no comment.

Anyway, good luck with all your qualifications and welcome to the forum. I am quite new here too and everyone is really helpful and friendly.
Kate
Celestron Firstscope 114EQ Compact
Revelation 15x70 binoculars
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi
A while back in the summer :roll: months whilst at work one evening I was ready to view the ISS on a very good, high pass. I mentioned this to the guys in the office and out they came, very impressed they were. What deflated me tho was the final comment of one of the senior managers has he went back inside.... "I didn"t know you were a Trekie fan" :evil: . And he meant it in all honesty (I put him right tho) :)
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
dale22

Post by dale22 »

Hi Ashera

I've been interested in astronomy about four years now and yes i find it very frustrating when getting those reactions from people, i used to tell others about my interests but found they always looked at me as if i had three heads or something, so i just keep it to myself now.

When i first met my partner, she thought the sun was actually in the sky with the clouds and aeroplanes had to stay clear of it :roll:

dale
killerwolf

Post by killerwolf »

iam close to the same boat as kate but unfortuntlly no were near here i can take any courses, so i took then next best geeky thing taking my bachlor in computer science and CCNA should be done end of this year :)
Skywatcher SynScan HEQ5 200mm
Meade DSI Camera
Olympus E-330 DSLR range of lenses.
S_Hawkins

Post by S_Hawkins »

Hi Ashera,

I'm also 15 and I find it similarly annoying when someone regards me as an amateur astrologist, astronomist, astrologer...etc

I still don't quite understand how people can get mixed up, let alone spell it wrong.

Sam
Sam Hawkins
SPA Council Member
Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

S_Hawkins wrote:Hi Ashera,

I'm also 15 and I find it similarly annoying when someone regards me as an amateur astrologist, astronomist, astrologer...etc

I still don't quite understand how people can get mixed up, let alone spell it wrong.

Sam
:) Im glad im not the only 15 year old about! I know what you mean, i think we should stop being classed :P

Hahaha yeah, there I think I have only ever come across two people that responded with the right answer, instead of atsrology as one. And unfortunetely out of the two, one of the people was atually my mum!

:P

Sorry about the delay in replies...college is a bit of a drag at the moment (coursework- and exam preperations).
:)
For what we see may just be stars, but to me they are the sight my eyes possess, and the beat of my weak heart.
Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

barf wrote:i get that all the time from a lad at work, he does it to wind me up!
'your into astronomy arn't you?, im an aries...' he says,
i now tell him that his future holds a swift kick in the cobblers :lol:

it is sad that so few people can tell science from rubbish. But you cant really blame teachers, most older teachers had to do very specific degrees to get their teaching qualification. Im lucky really, my degree is on the open university, and then onto a PGCE to become a teacher (hopefully in 2 years time!) and i can, and have, added a good astronomy course into it.

See if you can get a number of other students interested and start a club? the only way to change people is to encourage them to learn

Martin
Hahaha my mate used to do that to me too, but after the 3rd time he realised i wasnt just going to give him an evil look. :P

Everytime he does it, he makes sure to run! :lol: :P
Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

ajb wrote:I even read on a telescope kit endorsed by the university of Oxford that said something like "you can now enjoy astrology" on the box.

This telescope was for sale in the Works book shop. I hope they were there on the cheap due to the huge error.

What a sad state of affairs. People don't know the difference between science and mumbo jumbo. This country makes me very sad and I am not very hopeful of the future. :(
:lol: UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD?! WOW! i was told by a friend of mine who is a physicist, that Oxford or Cambridge are the best Universities to go to, for astronomical research...i guess i will have to look into that...i think the students who graduate, must become astrologers instead of their initial plan of becoming an astronomer!!!

:lol: :P i still cant believe that!
S_Hawkins

Post by S_Hawkins »

Ashera.G wrote:
S_Hawkins wrote:Hi Ashera,

Sam
:) Im glad im not the only 15 year old about! I know what you mean, i think we should stop being classed :P

Hahaha yeah, there I think I have only ever come across two people that responded with the right answer, instead of atsrology as one. And unfortunetely out of the two, one of the people was atually my mum!

:P

Sorry about the delay in replies...college is a bit of a drag at the moment (coursework- and exam preperations).
:)
Good to hear from you again. I was one of the only 'youngsters' on the Sky at Night forum, so I kinda decided to come here because the age range is more diverse.

Thankfully, my family have a good understanding of the astrologer/astronomer quirk. It's only really my friends :D
Sam Hawkins
SPA Council Member