Calling all Teens!

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

S_Hawkins wrote:
Ashera.G wrote:
S_Hawkins wrote:Hi Ashera,

I'm also 15 and I find it similarly annoying when someone regards me as an amateur astrologist, astronomist, astrologer...etc

I still don't quite understand how people can get mixed up, let alone spell it wrong.

Sam
:) Im glad im not the only 15 year old about! I know what you mean, i think we should stop being classed :P

Hahaha yeah, there I think I have only ever come across two people that responded with the right answer, instead of atsrology as one. And unfortunetely out of the two, one of the people was atually my mum!

:P

Sorry about the delay in replies...college is a bit of a drag at the moment (coursework- and exam preperations).
:)
Good to hear from you again. I was one of the only 'youngsters' on the Sky at Night forum, so I kinda decided to come here because the age range is more diverse.

Thankfully, my family have a good understanding of the astrologer/astronomer quirk. It's only really my friends :D

I didn't even know that Sky at Night even had a forum...i think that is the next place to go to
I just want to let people know, that i think i phrased what i was trying to say...wrong. I was in a rush, and i hope it doesn't appear that i said one of the people who thought astrology was astronomy was my mother.

What i was trying to say, was that out of the two people i know who happen to know the difference between astrology and astronomy, one was my mother.

sorry if there was any confusion, i walked into the house the other day..the first thing i heard was 'Ashera? people now think i don't have a clue between the two.' ...oops?

:lol:

Ashera
For what we see may just be stars, but to me they are the sight my eyes possess, and the beat of my weak heart.
yn0t

Post by yn0t »

Had no idea some of you were so close to my age. 25 here and have felt like a young grape amongst old raisins ever since I started enjoying Astronomy. Got some great friends, but none of them seem to really enjoy Physics and Astronomy like I do. Nice to see younger people in the UK do have an interest in the sciences. Over here in the States, there doesn't seem to be too many.
My 8" f/6 Homemade Oak Dobsonian Telescope (aka. "Cheeks")
PimpYourScope.com - A resource for astronomers of any magnitude.
Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

yn0t wrote:Had no idea some of you were so close to my age. 25 here and have felt like a young grape amongst old raisins ever since I started enjoying Astronomy. Got some great friends, but none of them seem to really enjoy Physics and Astronomy like I do. Nice to see younger people in the UK do have an interest in the sciences. Over here in the States, there doesn't seem to be too many.
Yeah, as soon as I made a post, I found more and more younger students appearing from no where. Im knew to this whole thing, and I thought that the best way to get involved was by getting to know the other younger generations on this forum. I know lots of students in my college that take physics, but they don't all seem very interested in astronomy (which i find odd...its the best part of a physics course i find). :D

Ashera
For what we see may just be stars, but to me they are the sight my eyes possess, and the beat of my weak heart.
Robin Scagell

Post by Robin Scagell »

It can work the other way as well -- at the Preston Montford weekend a few years back one participant had come along because she thought that she was going to learn how to cast a horoscope!

As Patrick Moore quite rightly says (imagine you can hear his voice saying it): 'Astrology proves one thing, and one thing only: there's one born every minute!'

Robin
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi Robin
As Patrick Moore quite rightly says (imagine you can hear his voice saying it): 'Astrology proves one thing, and one thing only: there's one born every minute!'
I can still picture him as he said that on the Sky at Night, :)

Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

Robin Scagell wrote:It can work the other way as well -- at the Preston Montford weekend a few years back one participant had come along because she thought that she was going to learn how to cast a horoscope!

Robin
HAHAHAHA!!! I can't believe that! Imagine her embarressment! lol

hehehe i still cant believe that!!!

too right for words..one born every minute!

Ashera
Hampshire Astronomer

Post by Hampshire Astronomer »

LOL :-) LOL

This reminds me of an old argument I had with my science teacher in secondary school...he claimed that Pluto had been know since ancient times and I put him right.......well tried too....when I brought a book in stating when and who discovered the planet he claimed the book was wrong :-)

Ahh...well......suppose he didnt want to lose face :-)

Dave
David Scanlan

Director SPA Variable Star section

http://www.popastro.com/variablestar/index.php
Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

Hampshire Astronomer wrote:LOL :-) LOL

This reminds me of an old argument I had with my science teacher in secondary school...he claimed that Pluto had been know since ancient times and I put him right.......well tried too....when I brought a book in stating when and who discovered the planet he claimed the book was wrong :-)

Ahh...well......suppose he didnt want to lose face :-)

Dave

HAHAHAHHA!!! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't believe that! i really can't!!! Secondary school!!! i think i would understand if it was in Primary! but really! lol wow...well it shows what kind of teachers we get teaching us when we are young! Im glad you put him right!!!

Ashera
smashing

Post by smashing »

Hi Ashera
Welcome to the great world of astronomy lol I am also pretty young..18 infact :) And doing a physics with astro physics degree at Leicester Uni :) i see you have already met sam (who has a great blog :) )
But your right about the teachings, Physics A level was such a shock after doing it at GCSE and again the step up to uni was a big wake up call too :D lol

adam
12" Dob, Skywatcher 130 on HEQ5 mount, Neximage, Canon 350D, 15x70 bins.
Ashera.G

Post by Ashera.G »

smashing wrote:Hi Ashera
Welcome to the great world of astronomy lol I am also pretty young..18 infact :) And doing a physics with astro physics degree at Leicester Uni :) i see you have already met sam (who has a great blog :) )
But your right about the teachings, Physics A level was such a shock after doing it at GCSE and again the step up to uni was a big wake up call too :D lol

adam
HEllo! Well hopfully im going to do a physics A-level next year. From what i have heard from my friends...its quite hard. It must have been a pretty big wake up call, i dont think we realise what we get ourselves into untill we are actually in the class room trying to jam pack every module into our brains. I still dont know how im coping with Maths As Level. I think i might just be getting to grips with it all. :P

Ashera
Andrew INT

Post by Andrew INT »

Some teachers have been know to tell pupils that the Sun comes up in the day, and then the moon at night. Its felt they cant tell children the moon can be seen during the day too - they wouldnt understand...so they are told a lie.

Ps, hello from an old prune of 37!
Skywatcher Explorer 200P on HEQ5 Mount with GOTO upgrade
Canon 350D DSLR, 10x50 Bins http://andrewrichens.wix.com/astro-nerd
Maddie

Post by Maddie »

At 21 (18 when I started) I find it all very lonely. My boyfriend (22) is great, he lugs the 'scope out for me and will have a look every now and again when I get Saturn or Mars properly focused in the 'scope and what not. But generally he doesn't have the patients or so to stand outside with me for a few hours. That is fine, but I've found no one else local who is also into it.

I've contacted a few clubs over the years, none seemed keen on the idea of someone young joining, and I didn't feel all that comfortable with joining a club and being so young.. Does that make sense? A few e-mailed I've had in response to questioning clubs have really put me off.

Sometime it'd be nice to spend the night out with the 'scope with a bit of company, a normal person, happy to share a cuppa and ideas, opinions and what not.
AJ

Post by AJ »

When I started Astronomy back in the old days (I'm not joking) It was a subject that not many people were conversent with so at 11years old I got the nick name "The Mad Professor" and it stuck for several years so I have been down that road

By the way I'm now 74years young and still going strong.

Regards AJ
"The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend

200mm f/5.91 Dobsonian Sky Watcher, 150mm Dobsonian, 114mm Celestron Short Newt, 10x50 Bino's x2pairs, 2No Digi Cams, 2no 35mmSLRs, Acuter Digital Imager.
Sky Watcher Mac/Cass 127 on EQ3-2
FinePix S5700 Digie Cam
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi guys,
Yes it can be a lonely hobby (won"t be the first time I"ve been told to get a life when I mentioned my hobby to someone at work)..no probs I just get on with doing something I really enjoy. I used to do a lot of viewing with my late Dad and we spent many a good nights viewing together, but once you get into the viewing you forget about the lonliness (you have to) and concentrate on what you are doing. My granddaughter has now got the bug and so I might have another viewing partner shortly :) (besides sparkymark).
Don"t get me wrong i"m not moaning :wink:

All the best.
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
Vega

Post by Vega »

I've learned that it really is a hobby to be proud of. 9 times out of 10 if you show the Moon or Saturn through a scope to the very people that tell you to 'get a life', they are the one's that are BLOWN SIDEWAYS by the view. It soon changes their view of the hobby. :wink:. Actually I would plead to everyone that whenever someone challenges your interest in astronomy don't confront them, simply invite them to look through your scope at an easy target like the moon or one of the gas giants.

Another thought... I have NEVER, EVER heard anyone slag off astronomy after actually looking through a telescope. I'd say if it wasn't for the frustration of the weather and difficulties some people may have buying/storing telescopes, this would be one of the most popular hobbies in the world!

Never doubt this wonderful hobby, we are privilaged people being able to view the heavens like we do let alone understand it a little more than the public in general.

Sermon over... apologies :lol:

Matt
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |