Visiting the LHC CERN

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

gyro

Visiting the LHC CERN

Post by gyro »

I would love to visit CERN, the following links show this is possible, are there any groups planning a visit, that I could join in with, or could the SPA organise one.

http://outreach.web.cern.ch/outreach/Welcome.html

http://www.particlephysics.ac.uk/teach/ ... guide.html
Regards.
RL Astro

Post by RL Astro »

The SPA organising one would be nice. I do believe we have an inside man anyway at CERN so if whoever it is asks nicely enough I'm sure he'll be happy to give us a tour.
gyro

Post by gyro »

RL Astro wrote:The SPA organising one would be nice. I do believe we have an inside man anyway at CERN so if whoever it is asks nicely enough I'm sure he'll be happy to give us a tour.
Pretty please.... :lol: :lol:
Regards.
mapofthedead

Post by mapofthedead »

Would definitely be interested :)
305mm F/4.9 Revelation Reflector
114mm F/7.9 Meade Reflector
102mm F/4.9 Sky Watcher Refractor
66mm F/5.9 William Optics Refractor
Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Incidentally, Brian Cox, who spoke to the SPA about CERN in October, was the subject of the Sunday Times Magazine's Life In A Day feature yesterday. I felt it was rather garbled, no doubt due to the journalist trying to squeeze too much into one page.
gyro

Post by gyro »

I am surprised and disappointed at the lack of interest in this topic.
Regards.
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Disappointed eh!
I am sure some SPA members like myself find the money spent on these awfully expensive colliders like Cern & Diamond Dust an offensive waste of money that could otherwise have been spent on proper astronomy using telescopes even!!
Regards Mike
gyro

Post by gyro »

Hi Mike,
Fair comment....... in part.

My interest is Cosmology so so funding a trip to Cern is no different than you financing your observing equipment. It is all Astronomy related after all.
Regards.
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Fair enough as you say...each to his own...but I tend to think of cosmology as something else than astronomy. You know I just cannot believe most of it and can see none of it. MF
cacmcgoo

Post by cacmcgoo »

I'd love to go to CERN, and from what little I have read/understood - the potential discoveries etc seem incredible. A little bit of pop-cosmology is great for expanding the mind, and I never run out of ways to kill a dinner party conversation.
The Marcus Chown book 'never ending days of being dead' is currently pulling my strings - and I recommend it to anyone with an Astronomy interest.

Do they do school trips to CERN??!!
Tom
Celestron 15x70
Looking for mak cass
KendalAstronomer

Post by KendalAstronomer »

The Institute of Physics used to do an annual trip to CERN. I went a few years ago (having just returned from an eclipse in Zimbabwe) and it was pretty good. The tunnel was shut down that year as they were putting in the new equipment (some of which I saw in its hangar). Outside, asides from all the beauty of Geneva, there is a display of old bits of particle colliders that looks a little like a B-Movie rocket ship scrapyard.

Just checked the website (NEXUS, the student component) and no mention of the trip. They're arranging trips to lesser particle colliders such as ESRF, DESY and ILL now...
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

gyro wrote:I am surprised and disappointed at the lack of interest in this topic.
You got 6 responses so far. What you want - blood???
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter
gyro

Post by gyro »

Eclipse wrote:
gyro wrote:I am surprised and disappointed at the lack of interest in this topic.
You got 6 responses so far. What you want - blood???
You know how we are in the ranks......never satisfied..... :) :)
Regards.