It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:20 am

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 pm 

I purchased the binocular, as new, for £40 from a Cash Generator shop today. This particular roof-prism glass gets good reviews and retails new at around £200.
Being secondhand, there's just one hitch. The barrels are just a bit slack, so that when set for the observer's interpupillary distance, they slowly come together. Does anyone know how to tighten up the hinges a little so that the barrels stay put?
One solution would be to make a bridge between the barrels, although it would be a better job just to tighten the hingeing.

Last edited by brian livesey on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:36 pm 

Brian,
Ask Opticron, Luton.
They have excellent service and it may still be covered by warranty. Sometimes 10 years sometimes 30 years.
As a minimum ask them how to tighten the hinge and say that you have engineering knowledge.
Ask Pete Gamby or the service department.
Describe the model and maybe the serial number.
They varied from £200 to £600 for the later ones. Some have ED glass, some maybe not.
Maybe all phase coated?

Sometimes you must not work at the wrong end of the hinge, as damage can result.

If you use email, make sure that their reply is not in your junk folder.

Good find.
Enjoy.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:52 am 

Thanks David. This glass is ED, very sharp and bright. The barrel slackness is only slight, so I've pressed a small rubber pad with an adhesive backing ( they sell them at WILKO's on cards ) on the hinge. It does the job for now :D .

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 am 

I have four pair of Opticrons, three older ones and one newer pair of decent ones, whilst they are not Leicas they are good................ BUT

More importantly the after sales is SUPERB

I can not speak highly enough of the help I have had even on 10 year old ones from them I would use Opticron just for the second to none customer care

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you