new scope purchase

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

loki

new scope purchase

Post by loki »

I am considering buying a sky-watcher 150 pls, with eq5 goto capability. any feedback from previous owners would be very much appreciated. :oops:
brian livesey

Re: new scope purchase

Post by brian livesey »

Why did you choose this particular 'scope? And what are the points that might concern you about the 'scope?
brian
loki

Post by loki »

This scope has been recommended to me, but just looking for some extra info.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

I've had a couple of 150mm Newtonian reflectors, but that was when light pollution was low compared to today.
In light polluted locations, 200mm or 250mm reflectors are the minimum for reasonable views of star clusters, nebulae and galaxies.
Which particular objects are you most interested in observing? For the Moon, planets, Sun ( with correct filter ) and other bright objects, a 150mm reflector is okay. Some observers prefer to use refractors for these objects.
brian
M54

Post by M54 »

Don't own one, prefer refractors, but a nice size, easy to use and transport, will fit well on the EQ5 - as in not too big.

Yes there are bigger, there are also smaller. With common sense you should manage quite a lot of whatever is floating round up there, usually hiding behind any available bit of cloud. Also the faint DSO's only appear on clear night iff there is a full moon.

If it is your first scope I would say a nice start and a good introduction it also means that you can find out what it is you eventually prefer. If AP then you have experience of an EQ goto mount, if visual DSO then a good start with the 150 and you can make up your mnind how big to jump to next.
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

I used to own a Skywatcher 150P Dobsonian, which I guess would have the same optics as your proposed purchase.

I was very pleased with it. It gave crisp, clear images with negligable coma and astigmatism and displayed good contrast, helped by its f8 focal length. I think that these telescopes are very good value for money and they are big enough to allow some quite decent observing.

That said, if I were buying, I would strongly consider a 200P, f6.....but then one can go on like that for ever! :lol:
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars