Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo Mount "anyone any experience"

The place to discuss telescopes, binoculars, CCDs and other equipment

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

skyhawk

Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo Mount "anyone any experience"

Post by skyhawk »

Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo Mount

Does anyone have any hand on experience of this please, looking to get one.

Looking to mount my 120mm triplet.

NO alternatives please, thanks.

Thanks
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
s4eyes

Re: Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo Mount "anyone any experience"

Post by s4eyes »

Hi Skyhawk, did you get the Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo Mount you were planning to get?
I got a Skymax 127 on an AZ-GTi Wi-Fi mount earlier this year.
I use the Mobile Phone Synscan app rather than a hand controller.
Been thinking of getting a hand controller so I can also use the mobile as a camera - switching apps is a pain at night.
Any opinions on the hand controller vs mobile Synscan app?
Thanks.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Due to the 100% non viewing, rain, etc for five months I have given up on Astronomy for the moment, we have not had a good night here in wales for MONTHS
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

We share your pain Skyhawk. Even the cat's cheesed off with the rain. Sometimes after her outdoor forays, she looks like a drowned rat.
It's a good time to maybe do some DIY and/or upgrading jobs on astro equipment.
brian
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Much of the limited observing here in Sussex recently has just been the occasional few minutes between clouds, and often through the bedroom window. The nearby chalk ploughed fields are almost quagmires. And our cat too still insists she is let out hunting for mice every, often wet night. If one does not let her out she jumps on the bed and then starts plucking the bedroom carpet. Eventually when she has had enough of hunting, she comes in sodden. At the Foredown Tower, the camera obscura demonstrations in December so far have been a big fat zero. regards maf.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I saw a magnitude minus 3 Geminid through my kitchen window on Dec14/15.

I think 00.51 UT at azimuth 275 degrees, white, straight down from elevation 30 to 10 degrees.

Also a mag 2 one in a 5 minute watch.

I also photographed a rainbow.

Regards,
David
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

brian livesey wrote:We share your pain Skyhawk. Even the cat's cheesed off with the rain. Sometimes after her outdoor forays, she looks like a drowned rat.
It's a good time to maybe do some DIY and/or upgrading jobs on astro equipment.
My cats love the rain and sit out in it, they were feral when young.

Not me, my son and I are both Autistic, Aspergers etc, (I was a single Autistic father of three ADHD Autistic sons, some of us have all the luck)

My son and I have just developed this, being into Photography and Astronomy.

http://WWW.jrs-photography.co.uk

It came about because I wanted to go back to shooting (as fun) Astronomy with film again and hate the inverting and mess of developing.

It is now available through a retail outlet and Nova Darkroom Equipment are reviewing it :)

I have been waiting to image the Moon for FOUR MONTHS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

For a creature with such beauty of form, there should be a Felix the Cat constellation. After all, there's a constellation for the dog. Pity if you only have a gerbil - no chance.
brian
Brian

Post by Brian »

Does a Lynx - or a Lion- count? :D
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

I had in mind felis domesticus Brian. I overlooked that there are two dog constellations The second one being Vulpecula the fox. Would Fox be courteous enough to make way for Felix, or would he be inclined to eat the cat?
Last edited by brian livesey on Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
stella

Post by stella »

For 'Dog' constellations, we must not forget Canes Venatici.
There is a 'Cat' constellation, namely Felis. It's situated right next to Hydra.
Also next to Hydra is Noctua, the Owl.
Some may say that there are only 88 constellations recognised by I.A.U.
I consider others like Antinous, and Musca as legitimate constellations.
For me, the I.A.U. holds no authority whatsoever, especially after their
disgraceful treatment of Pluto and Eris.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

I need to revise on my constellations! Thanks Stella. No modern star atlas seems to show Felis.
Why do you regard Antinous as a legitimate constellation? After all, he was a mere human ( Hadrian's boyfriend ), and the sky is reserved for larger-than-life mythological figures.
brian
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

After a little research about Felis the Cat the obsolete constellation, I came across the following :The brightest star of the defunct Felis, has recently been added to the IAU WGSN official name of stars, now in Hydra [HD85951 / HR3925] with the star name of Felis. A KIII , 4.94 mag star at RA 09 54 and dec -19 00. So as well as a Dog Star there is a Cat Star too! Must look for it … regards maf
Brian

Post by Brian »

Of Felis, the Cat, Richard Hinckley Allen* did write:
" a word which latin lexicographers now write Faelis, was formed by La Lande from stars between Antlia and Hydra, and first published in his Bibliographic Astronomique of 1805. Its inventor said of it:

I am very fond of cats. I will let this figure scratch upon the charts. The starry sky has worried me quite enough in my life, so that now I can have my joke with it.

In Die Gestirne the second edition of Bodes maps, it appears as Katze, with twenty stars; but, except with Secchi who includedmit as Gatto in his planisphere of 1878, it has long been discontinued in the catalogues and charts.

Proctor assigned this title to Canis Minor, but no one has followed him in this change."

* Star Names their law and meaning, pp220-221 (circa 1899)
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

'Star Tales, Revised and expanded edition' by Ian Ridpath, has a chapter on obsolete constellations and page 192 has a copy of Chart XIX of Bode's Uranographia (1801) showing exactly where it was placed before being expunged.
See a separate posting here in the Observing section. regards maf