Quantum Physics

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Mogget

Post by Mogget »

I am currently reading a book called We need to talk about Kelvin by Marcus Chown, and this is great for explaining what every day observations can tell us about the world of quantum physics.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

In Search of Schrodinger's Cat is part history and part explanation (and regarded by many as a popular science classic). I've enjoyed all of Gribbin's books.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Without seeming to be pedantic, should we be using the term "quantum physics"? As a description for a branch of physics, it sounds too all-embracing.
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say quantum mechanics?
brian
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

I think the two are interchangeable in this case, especially for a "beginner". On the other hand, it could be argued that Quantum Mechanics is a branch of Quantum Physics, as are Quantum Electrodynamics, Quantum Chromodynamics, Quantum Optics, etc.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

A thing that puzzles me Joe is that, if we live in a zero-energy, free lunch, Universe, why do I keep getting energy bills?
I think I'll send the next bill to Stephen Hawking, so that he can explain to the supplier that there's no charge for zero energy usage.
brian
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

If anyone reading this is confused, it's because the original poster turned out to be a spammer and his post asking for QM book recommendations has been removed.