Higgs bosun discovered

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

Higgs bosun discovered

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
The recent discovery of the Higgs Bosun seems to have created surprisingly little interest on the SPA Chat Forum so far.
Is my surprise warranted ?.
best wishes from Cliff
David Frydman

Re: Higgs bosun discovered

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Cliff,
The reason I have not commented is that I am not convinced they have found it.
They keep making claims only to withdraw them or modify them.
I will wait a year to comment.
Perhaps then we will see where this goes.

Best regards, David
Mogget

Post by Mogget »

I will believe it when they plonk a nice, clearly visible Higgs Boson on a wooden table at a press conference, with a large neon sign above it saying "This is a Higgs Boson".
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David, Mogget et al
New Scientist mag (14th July) says ;-
"...........The telltale signature left in the detectors at the LHC does not exactly match what is predicted by the standard model of particle physics.............So it is possible the new particle is something much more exotic, such as a member of a more complete model of the universe that includes the mysterious entities of dark matter and gravity. That would end the Standard model's supremacy, but it would also be a cause for even greater celebration than the discovery of the Higgs itself................."
There's even mention of creating another possble collider to split the Higgs which might not be a fundamental particle after all ? - although the new machine might be a fairly cheap device ??????
Best wishes from Cliff
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Dear Cliff,
If anyone is still around in a hundred years time they will probably have a good laugh at all of this conjecture.
Best regards, David
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David
According to BBC TV news the recent census shows that the population of England & Wales is now up to 56.2million the expert talking about it said he was surprised by the large population increase of about 3 million since the last census 10 years ago. I cann't say I was surprised myself, the only thing that surprised me was that the census expert was surprised.
There was also a vague mention on TV that the recent 2011 census might be the last such census that will be done. I am not sure that would be a good thing (?) but I can only wonder if perhaps officialdom would rather not know, or perhaps there are now better\cheaper ways at finding the required statistics ie possily using methods similar to what bankers have been doing for a few years now !!!!
Ironically we seem more keen to know how many extra-terrestrials there are than human beings.
Like you perhaps, I wonder what the score will be in 100 years ?
Best wishes from Cliff
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
I haven't (sorry hadn't) bought the USA astro-mag "Astronomy" for many months but got the November 2012 "Astronomy" mainly to read "Why you should care about the Higgs Boson !".
I found the Question & Answers provided by physicists very interesting and enlightening (although "needless to say" I don't agree with everything they say - not that I disagree with their scientific comments apart from anything else I don't understand enough about particle physics ! ). However, the scientists seem to think the general public are quite interested about Higgs Bosun matters - I'm inclined to think not much really.
However, I learned something about the Higgs Bosun from the Astronomy article - of course I knew very little (less than tiny size or mass of any known particle) before !!!
Best wishes from Cliff.