Dark Matter sheds some light

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al
For a variety of reasons\excuses I have not been following the lengthy threads related to this topic in great detail. However, from the bits I have read I am tempted to suggest that the discussion has become a tangled mass (where mass equals mess). There seem to be several very different approaches to the issues which I find very confusing. As a result I feel it difficult to agree with anyone, and yet also not totally disagree anyone.
Or perhaps it should be vice-versa.
Best of luck from Cliff
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al
Me again!
I recently read somewhere (i cannot remember where) possibly a recent "New Scientist" or possibly BBC "Focus" magazine, that someone has come up with an idea there might be blobs of dark matter in some stars. Now if I remember rightly some cosmologists have also suggested that dark matter may only be able to exist in minimum sized blobs abbout 1000 light years across!
Can both those ideas\observations be true?
I am not at all sure myself, but i suppose it might be conceivable for small volumes of dark matter to get trapped inside something like a star!
I must confess though I am getting more and more confused about this dark matter "matter".
Is it very dense?
Did I hear someone say yes, but not as dense as you (me).
Best of luck from Cliff
brian livesey

Clearing up..

Post by brian livesey »

All that I'm saying, Joe, is that terms like "gravity" and "force" are only convenience terms,they don't actually exist as independent phenomena. How often do we read in the astronomical literature that a particular celestial body - an asteroid or galaxy - is held together by "gravity" ? This is an esoteric way of saying that the body is held together by ITSELF. Get it?
Scientific laws, such as the law of gravity and wave theory, are equations,not the phenomena themselves. Over time,laws change (Einstein dispensed with gravity and replaced it with the geodesic), but the phenomena remain.
By the way,I would never suggest that phenomena only exist in the brain. We know that phenomena are external to us from the facts of evolution, i.e we know that the universe existed long before there was a brain to perceive it. :wink:
brian