LIGO: three times lucky

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

LIGO: three times lucky

Post by brian livesey »

Scientists have discovered gravitational waves for the third time, from a newly-formed black hole merger, using the Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory ( LIGO ):
"Black holes are beautifully simple, you just need two numbers to describe them: mass, how much they bend space-time, and spin, how much space-time swirls about them," said Dr. Christopher Berry of Birmingham University, one of the project scientists. "We now have wonderful mass measurements and are starting to uncover details about the spins of these black holes, which could reveal hints about how they were formed." The research is published in "Physical Review Letters".
According to the astrophysicists, the newly formed black hole that produced the gravitational waves is 49 times the mass of the Sun and lies at a distance of 3 billion light years from us. This third detection in January is catalogued as GW170104.
Gravitational waves were first detected in September, 2015 and again three months later. Researchers think that the latest detection could tell them in which direction the black holes are spinning.
Last edited by brian livesey on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
Cliff

Re: LIGO: three times lucky

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian L
Many years ago I enjoyed flying radio controlled model aeroplanes. From what I recall most people then found it easier to fly models doing left hand circuits (rather than trickier right circuits) particularly when landing. So it might be best to know which direction a Black Hole rotates before falling into it. However, I must admit from what little I've seen flying modern DRONES is possibly easier but not as much fun as in the good old days - so it might not matter too much which way a black hole rotates.
Best wishes from Cliff (PS the drones I've seen look boring machines, nothing like as nice as a 1930's Percival Mew Gull.)