Pluto's discovery

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Pluto's discovery

Post by brian livesey »

It was on this day in 1930 that astronomer, Clyde Tombaugh, on examining a photographic plate he had exposed, under a blink microscope, discovered Pluto against a starry background.
Tombaugh was stationed at the Lowell Observatory in Arizona at the time, and he confirmed what Percival Lowell had suspected, that wobbles in the orbits of Uranus and Neptune indicated the existence of an unknown body exerting a gravitational pull on the two gas giants.
Pluto has been relegated to minor planet status, but is there a case for giving this body full planetary status again if only to conform to the strength of its name?
In Greco-Roman mythology, Pluto ( or Hades to the Greeks ) is a brother of Zeus, hence he is a very powerful deity. Assigning Pluto as a pip-squeak minor planet to him seems disproportionate to his Olympian status.
Last edited by brian livesey on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian

skyhawk

Re: Pluto's discovery

Post by skyhawk »

I think Pluto is apt
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (173.47 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you