Do vapour trails aggravate global warming?

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Do vapour trails aggravate global warming?

Post by brian livesey »

According to recent research in Germany, aircraft vapour trails are causing more environmental damage than CO2. These "contrails" are produced by variations in air pressure from travelling aircraft; they often linger in the sky and trap heat in the atmosphere.
The research team warns that, since the dawn of aviation, contrails have inflicted more environmental damage than CO2 emissions - and the effects will triple by 2050. The worst effects will be felt over Britain, the USA and the rest of Europe, as these areas have the most air traffic.
The research data is published in the journal "Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics".
The researchers are critical of organisations that ignore the problem of contrails when considering the climate effects of aviation. One such organisation is the UN, that allowed an increase in aviation emissions after 2020 in exchange for reductions in other emission areas. The deal fails to recognise the full impact of contrails.
Team leader in the study, Lisa Bock, said: "There are still some uncertainties regarding the overall climate impact of contrails, but it's clear they warm the atmosphere."
brian

skyhawk

Re: Do vapour trails aggravate global warming?

Post by skyhawk »

You need to watch this, I have posted it so many times

https://vimeo.com/138779240
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Thanks Skyhawk. That's an HORIZON documentary I seem to have missed
brian

skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

brian livesey wrote:Thanks Skyhawk. That's an HORIZON documentary I seem to have missed
So much for global warming, we can't win !!!!!!
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you