Betelgeuse is brightening ..

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Betelgeuse is brightening ..

Post by brian livesey »

According to South Korean research astronomer, Bum( yes )- Suk Yeom, "The red supergiant star Betelgeuse is not likely to undergo a supernova explosion anytime soon". Yeom has constructed a light curve diagram from data provided by the American Association of Variable Star Observers ( AAVSO ) to show that Betelgeuse is getting brighter.
Betelgeuse's' brightening was, in fact, predicted by Ed Guinan and Richard Wasatonic at Villanova University. Their prediction was based on a Fourier analysis of the star's light curve, but it's still too early to know if the current brightening will continue.
Betelgeuse is a beautiful star in the telescope; it would be a pity to see it transformed into a nebulous splog in the sky.
brian

skyhawk

Re: Betelgeuse is brightening ..

Post by skyhawk »

I thought it was DIMMING ???
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Last month it was between visual magnitude 1.3 and 1.7 according to variable star observers.

But the curve may indicate brightening over time.

But we will see.

Maybe to magnitude minus 12.

David

skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Brian

Post by Brian »

From
http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13439

>quote
Adopting a more refined determination of the dominant (probable pulsation) period of P = 430 days, the minimum brightness is expected on 21 (+/-7d) February, 2020.
<unquote

Seems they may well be proven correct

https://www.spaceweather.com/ for 21Feb 2020

>quote
The red supergiant star Betelgeuse appears to have finally stopped its unprecedented dimming. It's been brightening over the last few days
<unquote
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

There was a suggestion that the dimming of Betelgeuse could be due to a cloud of dust associated with the star.
brian