Red Dwarf recount..

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Red Dwarf recount..

Post by brian livesey »

Star counts at the turn of the last century indicated that three out of every five stars were binaries and that the commonest stars are red dwarfs (bright stars are relatively rare in the Galaxy,accounting for 15% to 20% of the stellar population).
In the last five years,red dwarfs have been surveyed with more sensitive instrumentation,and astronomers have discovered that only a quarter of them are binaries.
This means that two-thirds of all stellar systems turn out to be single red dwarfs. The new statistics fit in well with star formation theory,which says that it's easier for single stars to form. (see SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, April/'06.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian
Thanks!
I must say that I often think we\they (whoever they might be!) sometimes think we understand the make up of the Universe better than we really do. What you just mentioned tended to strengthen my feelings.
I was thinking about multi-verses the other day and it made me wonder what would happen if someone put a Large Hadron Colider in an even Bigger Hadron Clolider. Would it be a really big whizz bang or just a damp squib?
Best wishes from Cliff
brian livesey

Congratulations..

Post by brian livesey »

Probably a baby. :wink:
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian
Would that baby actually be the first artificial life ever created ?
If it works think we should put ourselves up for our joint idea for a joint Nobel Prize.
Best wishes from Cliff
joe
Site Admin

Re: Red Dwarf recount..

Post by joe »

brian livesey wrote:This means that two-thirds of all stellar systems turn out to be single red dwarfs.
But strangely, it still seems that the majority of stars are still in multiple systems, so astronomers can have their cake and eat it too!
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.