GBR threat..

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

GBR threat..

Post by brian livesey »

Bad news for the doomsters. Long duration gamma ray bursters (GBRs) that can fry the Earth, could be rarer in our galactic region than previously thought.
It's known that massive stars often produce supernovae and,occasionally GRBs. This suggests that supernovae and GBRs should be found in similar environments,but, over a thousand hours of Hubble observations shows that to be wrong.
It seems that most GRBs are found in small,faint,irregular galaxies and with a different chemical make-up. On the other hand,supernovae seem to be equally divided between spiral galaxies and irregulars.
GBRs are found concentrated in the brightest regions of their host galaxies,whilst supernovae occur throughout their host galaxies. The conclusion is that: "GBRs,which would cause havoc here on Earth if exploding nearby, should be relatively rare in the Milky Way." ( See the journal NATURE, May 25th, 2006.)
brian
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Phew! I thought GBR was some form of Grevious Bodily..........something? But it's only about the end of the Solar System. That's alright, back to work. :wink:
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
brian livesey

It's GRB..

Post by brian livesey »

GRB,GRB,GRB,GRB, I must remember..
brian
RL Astro

Re: It's GRB..

Post by RL Astro »

brian livesey wrote:GRB,GRB,GRB,GRB, I must remember..
No. GBR, not GRB :wink:
brian livesey

Cycling trials..

Post by brian livesey »

GBR = Grossly Bruised Rear (after cycling all day on a new saddle).
brian