A thought occurred to me: Big Bang and a finite universe

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Thanks stella, silly mistake. I don't think I have typed plank many times before but my fingers must have overuled my head, although to be truthfull if you google Max Plank, it does you a favour.

Best wishes,
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Davep
I mentioned Harry Potter in particular being my current pet hate.
As far as I am concerned the current Harry potter craze is just another piece of evidence that the human race is going down hill.
People, grown up people, actually queued up for hours to get their Harry Potter book. That to me is a definitive bit of proof that the human race is in severe decline. Its much more conclusicve evidence of my theory of the descent of huMAN than the cosmic wave background relates to the big bang. Not all astronomers are perfect, those who believe in Harry Potter are at serious risk. I like to keep an open mind about the Big bang theory. However, I think the Harry Potter craze is possibly a bigger danger than global warming.
Best wishes from Cliff
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al
Generally speaking I am against the death penalty.
Irrespective of any moral grounds, one big concern I would have about the death penalty is the risk of exterminating an inocent person by mistake. However, I would make an exception in the case of Harry Potter.
I would give Harry the thumbs down (although I did read somewhere that the story that Roman Emperors did not actually give the thumbs down sign at the Colliseum Games. According to what I read somewhere the Emporors giving thumbs down was a Victorian period invention).
I would confirm my Harry potter verdict by exclaiming "Exterminate! Exterminate!". (Incidentally my second exterminate would be for Doctor Who!)
I have to admit that my connection of Harry Potter with astronomy is rather tenuous. It just happened that one of my acquaintances, a fairly nice person really (although as it happens under my criteria they do not qualify as a real amateur astronomer but I still speak to them). Anyway I found out that this particular unreal amateur astronomer actually queued up for over an hour before mid-night when the latest Harry Potter book was first offered for sale.
By the way "a definitive proof" is something that is acceptable to me, I don't think you can get more definitive than that!.
Best wishes from the Grumpy Old Codger Cliff