Big Hole In Space

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

AJ

Big Hole In Space

Post by AJ »

Dont know if anyone has seen this so I thought I'd pop it on here

Big Hole In Space

A vast hole has been found in the universe. The Cosmic chasm-nearly a billion light years wide-contains none of the usual stars, galaxies, or space dust.
Experts say it’s like an air bubble in a cake mix and it dwarfs any other known void.
The hole is so big that a ray of light, which travels at 186,300 miles per second, would take nearly a billion years to cross it. It doesn’t even contain space’s mysterious dark matter.
American Astronomers found it after studying new images produced by radio telescopes.
Co-discoverer Lawence Rudnick, of the University of Minnesota, said: “Not only has no one ever found a void this big but we never even expected to find one this size.

The Sun, Saturday 25th August 2007

AJ
"The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend

200mm f/5.91 Dobsonian Sky Watcher, 150mm Dobsonian, 114mm Celestron Short Newt, 10x50 Bino's x2pairs, 2No Digi Cams, 2no 35mmSLRs, Acuter Digital Imager.
Sky Watcher Mac/Cass 127 on EQ3-2
FinePix S5700 Digie Cam
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Yes, I read about this last week on the BBC's web site. The size of this anomaly is just mind blowing. It's a very interesting find and might be a pointer to dark energy. The original paper was from radio astronomers in Minnesota. (pdf link).
200mm f6 Revelation 8 Dob
Bins: 10 x 50 & 8 x 21
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,
Thanks for that AJ very interesting..bit more reading here (not intending to hi-jack your post by the way :) )..
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0708/23hole/
With all the technology we have got today (Hubble,space probes,massive telescopes (radio aswell as visual), we are still only scratching the surface (aswell as our heads) when it comes down to the "great beyond".
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
AJ

Post by AJ »

No probs Dave Only spotted it on Saturday and thought it might be of some interest.

AJ
"The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend

200mm f/5.91 Dobsonian Sky Watcher, 150mm Dobsonian, 114mm Celestron Short Newt, 10x50 Bino's x2pairs, 2No Digi Cams, 2no 35mmSLRs, Acuter Digital Imager.
Sky Watcher Mac/Cass 127 on EQ3-2
FinePix S5700 Digie Cam
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
I must say I find this whole matter (or lack of matter) very bemusing.
Dark Matter and Dark Energy seem to have only come to notice in very recent years but I have to say that I cannot help but wonder if some of the interpretations of what is being observed is just pie in the sky.
I had a quick read at the gen Davej pointed us at, and I must admit I found some of the supposed explanation confusing. Perhaps modern cosmology is now completely beyond me. However, I am not going to worry too much because it seems to me that "modern" cosmology is very much still in its infancy.
Best of luck from Clif
PS Hopefully tommorrow's "New Scientist" will say something about the matter.
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Cliff wrote:Hopefully tommorrow's "New Scientist" will say something about the matter.
There's a piece on the New Scientist blog about how this development might mean a fractal universe is more viable than previously thought.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Pauls
I just got the latest "New Scientist" weekly mag. It includes a short article about the "Big Hole". However, it adds nothing to the things already pointed to in this topic chat.
I am intrigued by your mention that this "Big Hole" might indicate the Universe is fractal. For some years now a minority has believed that the Universe is fractal, but mainstream cosmologists seem to have pooh- poohed the idea. However, now we get what seems to be as yet a single observation and suddenly a "fractal" Universe comes into the frame.
I hope the cosmologists will come clean and be counted ?
Best of luck from Cliff
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

Cliff wrote:now we get what seems to be as yet a single observation and suddenly a "fractal" Universe comes into the frame.
It's a blog piece, Cliff; so it's a commentary rather than a scientific paper. It points out that the fractal crowd have long predicted the existence of these giant voids.

They're the only bunch to have predicted them, it seems; so on that basis they get a couple of brownie points and their theory gets pushed into the limelight.

According to the blog, the fractal enthusiasts are led by an Italian professor Luciano Pietronero (who appears to need a tie pin).
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear PaulS
Thanks, for your recent further comment. Me being old fashioned I still do not understand these blog things, so like mobile phones I fight shy of them.
I do find this Fractal idea interesting (even if possibly slightly embarassing).
However, from the very little understanding that I have of fractals generally I am intrigued as to how a galaxy structure might be fractally related to a single star.
I suppose one could argue that there are some similarities between a Solar System type system and a galaxy but (?).
Best wishes from Cliff
Paul S

Post by Paul S »

I haven't looked into it too deeply Cliff, but I seem to recall that in this respect the fractal universe concept applies to large scale structures; so galaxy clusters, superclusters and the CMB etc.