Geophysics

The non amateur stuff. Hawking, black holes, that sort of thing

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Kaustav

Geophysics

Post by Kaustav »

Sorry, this is more of a Geophysics topic so mods feel free to delete, but I recently read this article which I found very intriguing on the FT web site. Talks about a controvertial theory postulating that the Earth's core spins ever so slightly faster than the rest of the outter layers. Apparently this has now been proven. The article is a little scant on detail but I have access to the Columbia University journals server if anyone's interested?

Kaustav
Kaustav Bhattacharya
>> http://kaustav.uk.com/unisphere/ - An online magazine about Astronomy, Science, Social Media and Society.
>> Follow me on Twitter @jupiterorbit
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Kaustav
Yes, I am interested.
However, I would not want you to go to much trouble on my behalf because I am not sure to what extent I could get involved. about ten days back I got a "Scientific American Special" about the Earth's innards and I have not read that yet.
If you can make some brief simplified comments about the theory "fast core" you mentioned, hopefully it might be interesting to a few people?
Best wishes from the Grumpy Old Codger Cliff
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Hi Kaustav,

The Earth is a planet as interesting as all the others so it's a valid point in my opinion. As to whether it is controversial or not...I don't know. It seems to me that the story in the FT just reports a confirmation of a well accepted theory. The differentiation between the movement of the core ( the solid inner and the molten outer) with the mantle produces the Earth's magnetic field.

A quote from the excellent book "The New Solar System" by Beatty, Collins Peterson and Chaikin: "Geophysicists have discovered that the route of the fastest seismic waves through Earth's interior is gradually shifting eastward because the inner core is rotating slightly faster than the rest of the planet. This finding may help explain how the Earth's magnetic field reverses polarity".

First published 1981. My edition, Fourth 1999

I would be interested in the Columbia University journals server if it means free information.

Many thanks,

ps. How did you get on in your exam? PM if you want to spill the beans. :D
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Kaustav
I just got this weeks New Scientist, there is an interesting though short article about your topic of the Earth's slightly faster spinning inner core.
The article refers to research done by a seismoologist called Song as producing the results. However, the way I read the article it seems to suggest more stuies are needed to be sure that Song's conclusions ideas are correct.
Best wishes from the Grumpy old codger Cliff