It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:26 am

Post subject: Coronado PST for Sale
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:05 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
I am considering selling my PST (Personal Solar Telescope)........WITHDRAWN

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:55 am 

Glad to know you've held on to your PST Mike. The Sun's a fascinating body to observe from time-to-time. And solar observation can offer some compensation for cloudy nights.
At £200, you might have invited an unwanted buyer who could then have resold it for £600 or more!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 am 

Hello Brian: Not exactly. I am still in the process of finding a home for it. I bought it for £480 after I retired and it was exciting to see the prominences and flares etc rather than just the sunspots, and for a while I did daily drawings (as best I could - drawing sunspots using projected image - black, grey & white is easy but I never mastered the complexity of producing all the different tones and colors, of spots, prominences etc) but was never really happy with the results. I attempted some simple eyepiece, hand-held camera shots which were pretty poor compared with snaps of the similar-apparent-size Moon. Obviously there are some superb photographs posted here of the Sun taken in H-alpha. Many seem to taken using a modified PST and using a computer to make these images. Although I stopped regularly observing the Sun, I decided to hang on to the PST for Solar Eclipses (the last Solar Eclipse, the sky was too overcast to use it), for the second Venusian transit (clouded out) and the transit of Mercury (just glimpsed it it the PST).
Basically, from time-to-time I have a purge of instruments and books that I no longer really use or need, being a bit of a minimalist or lot of a minimalist really! I guess my motto is "Less is more". As a bird-watcher, in the past, I was well-known as only owning one guide-book and one pair of binoculars! When I bought a new one, I would dispose of the previous one. I am not quite as severe as that now as I have perhaps ten star atlases and 4 or 5 small instruments. (monoculars & spotters). regards maf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:18 am 

I just checked the current price of the PST now, depending on supplier, £700 or more. new.maf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:11 pm 

A pity Mike, as I think that the PST is maybe the best telescope made for the amateur astronomer.
I thought that you were giving it away at £200.
With devaluation of the pound the price will go up.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:18 am 

As a general rule, if I was selling something, I would only ask about half of what I paid for it, considering that a second-hand item does not include vat and there is no warranty, and the item has been used of course. Perhaps the PST is different in that they are imported from the USA and no doubt the changing exchange rates affect it greatly. I was indeed shocked when I checked the current prices, as I imagined them to now be £600, but found generally now £700 - £800 !! , some highest ones including the case though etc. It certainly is a good scope for observing the Sun but of course that it all you can do with it, and so I imagine that the call for it locally may well be very limited. From my point of view it serves no purpose sitting in a box for the next few years waiting for a good solar eclipse and if someone really wanted to actually use it, then...........anyway, we shall see! regards maf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 am 

Solar transits look good in a PST. In the PST/Lunt DS, the last Mercury transit had a strong "3D" appearance, due to a background of small spots, many filaments and two prominences.
I managed to take a successful image of the event, with a hand-held LUMIX compact.