SPA Meeting 30th July 2016 - London - Travel Disruption

The place to leave details of astronomical attractions

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

JohnM

SPA Meeting 30th July 2016 - London - Travel Disruption

Post by JohnM »

On Saturday a large area of central London is closed due to the RideLondon cycle event. As a result all the buses to the Russell Square area from the South are on long diversions. Those coming from the North should be OK.

Tube travel to Russell Square (Piccadilly Line), Warren Street (Victoria Line) and Goodge Street (Northern Line) should be Ok.

Apparently it will be possible to cross the route on foot at designated points when the Marshals allow you to cross. Details on https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/ and also the TfL website. The TfL journey planner appears to allow for some of the disruption if you pick Saturday as the Journey time but I am not sure that the bus only option has taken this into account - Buses seem to show as running directly from Waterloo to Russell Square but in reality thay are being diverted via Blackfriars Bridge and Farringdon Road then Theobolds Rd to rejoin the normal route.
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play
David Frydman

Re: SPA Meeting 30th July 2016 - London - Travel Disruption

Post by David Frydman »

If you travel you may go past Broadhurst Clarkson in Farringdon Road.

Regards,
David
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

David,

BC&F moved out a long time ago - the building still appears to be called Telescope House according to Google Street View but now appears to be a Vietnamese Street Kitchen - see https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.52083 ... 312!8i6656

The shop next door now called the Zeppelin Building is where the first bomb was dropped on London by a Zeppelin - it used to have a brass Plaque outside marking the event.
Last edited by JohnM on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Thanks for the link John.
I used to walk past it frequently on the way home from school.
They had delicious goodies in the windows.
My 3 inch Starboy refractor on mahogany garden tripod cost £28.10.0 in 1957.

My mother told me she saw the air raids in WW1 as a child.

My aunt's house had a direct hit in the front garden by a V2 in WW2. The house collapsed but they miraculously survived, the whole roof resting on my cousin's cot. The neighbours were killed and our windows blown out nearly a quarter mile away.

Regards,
David
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Hello David,

Even more off topic but my Paternal Grandmother survived her house in Croydon being hit by a bomb from a Zeppelin - I am not sure if it was the same raid that hit the building next to BC&F or not. There is an image take by the official war photographer at http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/s ... ydon-1915/. My grandfather was allowed 2 weeks leave from the Western Front to find them a new house.

regards

John
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Happy days! Like Mike Harding used to say, we had things then that they don't have nowadays...the Kaiser...Hitler...rickets. Blob :wink:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Unfortunately rickets is back, linked to Vitamin D and sunlight deficiencies in the UK if recent news-stories are to be believed :shock:
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

I know off topic but of importance.

Because I see little sunshine I take 1500 or 2000 IU daily of vitamin D (D2).
My Finnish friend recommends double this, but guidelines say 800 IU sufficient, yet other sources suggest 8,000 IU.

Regards,
David