Help down by trowbridge

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

D-Alien

Help down by trowbridge

Post by D-Alien »

Hi All

I am going to attend a wedding next weekend down in Trowbridge and i thought on the way back it would be nice to try and see a few stars (as i live in London and dont get to see many)

I have been looking around at the maps for the area and i recon Tilshead in the middle of Sailsbury Plain might be a good place to head for - i'm not sure about the altitude there so i am looking for comments and suggestions of a nice dark and maybe higher than average place on the way from Trowbridge to London

Regards

Dave

blobrana

Post by blobrana »

Well,
a bit further on is Stonehenge...

Latitude: 51.178816N Longitude: 1.826563W

markt

Post by markt »

My brother lives not too far from Trowbridge, and my experience of the skies around there are pretty good (compared to the West Midlands!). Just make sure you're not in a town or stood under a streetlight and I reckon you'll be impressed compared to London.

Clear Skies! :)
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31

D-Alien

Sorted - I hope

Post by D-Alien »

Thanks for the replies

We have decided to get a base for a couple of nights at a place called Tilshead in Sailsbury Plain

after much looking at maps i planned to head for this place on the Saturday night after the reception, but it was decided to go down on the friday night so we started looking at campsites and found one in the same village that i had been looking at :)

Just gotta keep fingers crossed for clear skies

markt

Post by markt »

Best of luck with clear skies - keep an eye out for Perseids! :D
Canon 350D, DMK31

D-Alien

Post by D-Alien »

Thats what i want to see :D :D :D

In London i will only see the odd one or two of the brightest ones :cry:

A few years ago i was fortuate enough to be near Shrewsbury at the right time and the sky was lovely and dark and clear and we were seeing one every second or two and it was a fantasic sight :D

So i am hoping to have an experience like that again :D

markt

Post by markt »

I'm specifically off to Anglesey next week, for the week, specifically with the intent of observing Perseids from dark skies.

To give an indication in the difference in light pollution between the West Midlands and Anglesey, night before last I was managing a 15 second exposure @ iso 800 of the Milky Way overhead with my 350D here in the West Mids, in Anglesey last year, with the same lens and iso setting I was getting 75 seconds, and I only stopped then because I was getting too much star trailing as they were unguided pictures.

The equatorial mount is going with me next week, and with this I hope to be able to push exposures to a good couple of minutes before sky glow becomes a problem
Canon 350D, DMK31