The Possible Consequences of Light Pollution - Colin Henshaw

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Colin Henshaw

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Scenario:

1) Excessive street lighting and other wasteful practices lead to increased anthropogenic levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
2) Increased carbon dioxide levels cause global warming.
3) Global warming melts the Greenland and polar ice caps, resulting in more precipitation. This is now happening rapidly.
4) More precipitation results in higher snowfall in the Northern Hemisphere, with no melting in summer.
5) Increased albedo reflects sunlight, increasing the magnitude of snowfall precipitation (positive feedback).
6) Fresh water from melting polar ice floods into the North Atlantic disrupts the thermohaline circulation and deflects of the Gulf Stream, resulting cooling of Europe and North America.
7) Next glaciation begins.
8) How soon this will happen is open to speculation.

The environment will pay us back with our own coin and with compounded interest – Colin Henshaw.

Refs:

1) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_18107917
2) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_18107917
3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mila ... ations.png
4) http://culter.colorado.edu:1030/~saelias/glacier.html
5) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
6) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halocline
7) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermohaline_circulation
8) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth

Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Woe, woe and thrice woe !!!!

I personally think global warming is the biggest con ever perpetrated upon us. The Earth´s climate is continually changing and always will. The amount of ice, ditto.
The Romans grew grapes at Hadrisan´s wall - too cold now.
The only real interest that governments have is how much revenue they can stuff us for using this as an excuse. Let´s charge Chelsea tractors extra for parking - that is when their engines are NOT running!
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter

Colin Henshaw

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Woe, woe, woe, and thrice woe, indeed!

Climate change is definitely not a con, and thinking of that sort is comparable to the proverbial ostrich with its head in the sand.

And of course let's blame governments for using it as an excuse to levy taxes! The same old sacred cow about being over-taxed. This suggests to me that you have business interests that depend on the excessive expenditure of energy. I often hear these opinions from people in the business community who feel their profits and earnings depend on them not understanding the problem. Do you feel therefore that climate change is an inconvenient truth?

The evidence for climate change is incontrovertible, and the sooner you realise that, the better. Light pollution is just one visible manifestation of it. It is an insidious cancer spreading across the face of the globe with consequences that go way and beyond the concerns of astronomers. Yet despite the evidence people choose to ignore it. There are none so blind as those that cannot see.

We should act together to do something about climate change, before it is just too late. Indeed it may already be too late, as the Earth has already exceeded its carrying capacity.

antares6iron

Post by antares6iron »

:?: Hi Colin are you involved in astronomy or is this forum somewhere to vent your frustration on your particular subject because a large amount of people are sceptical not because it may not be true but governments everywhere use statistics to suit there agenda.Light pollution is a problem but ideally I find posts on this site most interesting when the night sky is the subject matter as it was designed for.Everyone is entitled to express themselves CfCS is where I would direct your obviously good research on the subject.ATB
Various 'scopes 80mm to 254mm on goto and driven EQ mounts.A80M Vixen used as solarscope on Vixen Porta mount 15X70 Bino's RoRo Ob,Radio Meteor shack and weather station.. "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."
Albert Einstein

joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

This being the Light Pollution sub-forum I think it's okay to talk/"rant" about light pollution.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.

stella

Post by stella »

..and why direct someone to CFCS which stands for
chlorofluorocarbons?
:roll:

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Antares6iron
With regards to Colin's involvement in astronomy.
I must mention that Colin was one of the very first astronomers to observe Supernova 1987a in the Large Magellanic Cloud. He was living in a dark remote area of Africa at the time from where communications to the astronomical authories were difficult and slow. As a result his observation report got delayed and so Colin did not get the credit he deserved.
Best wishes from Cliff

antares6iron

Post by antares6iron »

Thank you for the information Cliff!I also agree climate change is a fact with the age of the earth it will always be changing although this time we have given it a big nudge.Educate people of the cost of light pollution and it's impact to them (ie locally costs them money)in our present way of life money seems to be all that matters.All power to you Colin with todays communication systems you would have been the ONE.Regards to all( I have gone on awhile no clear skies here tonight)
Various 'scopes 80mm to 254mm on goto and driven EQ mounts.A80M Vixen used as solarscope on Vixen Porta mount 15X70 Bino's RoRo Ob,Radio Meteor shack and weather station.. "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."
Albert Einstein

markt

Post by markt »

Lets just hope as a result of the 'economic downturn' more local councils feel the pinch and start turning off a few more streetlights in the early hours...

One can but hope... :roll:
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31

antares6iron

Post by antares6iron »

You are quite correct Joe I am old and I must be passed my sell by date OOPS! Of course Stella don't now my C'S FROM MY D'S did a lot of work eradicating CFCS from commercial aircraft use many years ago oh well think I will go look at some cloud!!!!!ATB
Albert Einstein

Eclipse

Re: The Possible Consequences of Light Pollution - Colin Hen

Post by Eclipse »

Colin Henshaw wrote: The evidence for climate change is incontrovertible, and the sooner you realise that, the better.
I bet you haven´t got rid of your car.

I agree, the climate is continually changing, but don´t accuse anyone who doesn´t immediately fall for the hype of the global warming panickers as having their head in the sand.

And as I stated, there is clear evidence that the global climate was hotter in Roman times, also in the 9th century when the vikings farmed Greenland, and in the Medieval warm period. Now these are inconvenient truths that the global warming panickers are always trying to avoid.

And to state that your theory (and that is all it is) is INCONTROVERTIBLE is arrogance in the extreme.
Coronado PST with SME-40 double stack H@ filter

Colin Henshaw

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Eclipse

“I bet you haven´t got rid of your car.”

I don’t have one.

"And to state that your theory (and that is all it is) is INCONTROVERTIBLE is arrogance in the extreme."

I did not say my “theory” was incontrovertible. I said the evidence for global warming is incontrovertible. Stating the evidence is not arrogance.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Colin Henshaw

Post by Colin Henshaw »

Antares6iron,

"Everyone is entitled to express themselves CfCS is where I would direct your obviously good research on the subject." ATB

I think you are refereing to the CfDS, (The Campaign for Dark Skies) in which case please be informed that I am a regular contributor to that forum. We also need need more contributors who are prepared to take action if we are to make real progress with the problem of light pollution.

jomarshall

Post by jomarshall »

I wonder if anybody saw the programme entitled Planet Earth (or something very similar) quite recently on BBC2; I found what was said most interesting which was basically this: despite global warming, polar ice caps melting, the planet will be fine and will right itself in 20-30,000 years, trees will regrow and rejuvenate the atmosphere etc etc. It's whether mankind will survive it is what the worry should be.

Now before I'm shouted at for condoning the continual destruction by mankind, increasing lighting, felling tress etc, I'm NOT(!) but thought it was an interesting angle to approach such arguments; I've found myself that if you appeal to somebody on a selfish level, it usually works :wink:

Also, I think the dawn of the cheap flights is over (Zoom, XL anyone? XL were the 3rd biggest airline company in UK!)

Just my two cents.

Best wishes, Jo

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Jo
I only saw part of the TV programme you referred to but I did see something related to the particular part that interested you.
Irrespective of whether or not one accepts humans are having an affect on global warming and climate change, I suspect not many people think humans are capable of actually destroying (eg blowing up) the Earth. So the programme did not really say anything Earth-shattering !
However, what amazes me is that despite us humans supposedly being the most intelligent creatures to ever have existed on Earth, the way things are going it looks like humans could be heading towards having had shortest period of existence of all Earth's "more important" creatures (as a result of our own shear complacency). Rather like Nero fiddling while Rome was burning.
Best of luck from Cliff