where would you go?

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

austin

where would you go?

Post by austin »

If you had a chance, like I have, of moving anywhere in the UK, within reason that is. Astronomy-wise, where might you suggest. I often hear of Norfolk being good. But anywhere else?

austin
davep

Post by davep »

I'd get a copy of the Phillip's Dark Sky Map, find the darkest area, and head for there.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

I'd say what Dave said, but much of that includes the north of Scotland and while it may be VERY dark there it is also VERY cloudy year long and the cloud pollution defeats the light pollution :D Well maybe. Being a scot that's where I would go but Norfolk or Wales would be good also. House prices???
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
davep

Post by davep »

joe wrote:I would go but Norfolk or Wales would be good also.
The area around Kelling Heath (from this page) isn't too shabby in terms of light-pollution. That said, I've had a couple of people mention to me that the skies can still present their own problems -- what with it being so close to the coast (and also so low-lying -- just that little bit of extra air above you ;)).

Even where I am (not a million miles from Kelling Heath) it can be slightly annoying. This part of the country seems to suffer more than most from fog that comes in off the North Sea coast. I missed out on the last partial eclipse due to that. It was a wonderful clear day that day, even early in the morning -- but where we were it was so foggy you couldn't see a thing.
House prices???
Here and here would probably be good places to start.
screwdriver

Post by screwdriver »

Hi all,I would stay where i live on the marsh 8) .Romney marsh,its very dark southen skies 50 miles to france :lol: Sky clouds over no probs go shoot your breakfast :idea: i like Rabbit.
Take care