Light pollution matter sugestion

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Cliff

Light pollution matter sugestion

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
It seems to me that light pollution is a very important issue for amateur astronomy but does not really get the widespread attention from us that it really warrants.
I cannot claim to have made a definitive study, but it seems to me that including Light Pollution matters in General Chat might widen interest in the subject.
I raise the above matter here as a possible matter for more general discussion.
Best of luck from Cliff

Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Hi Cliff,

Yes your right, Light Pollution is certainly a major enemy ! Other enemies include (ever increasing ?) cloud cover, and the apparent lack of effective competition between UK dealers.

When I was a student in London, the night sky was pretty aweful in terms of Light Pollution. Now I live in mid Wales, and enjoy really dark skies, but tons of clouds and no local dealers !

My local council have just started turning off 2 out of 3 street lights to save energy and money. This has greatly helped to make the stars more visible at night.

Best Wishes,

Jenny (Powys, UK)
Tal 100 RS on EQ5, Fujinon 10x70's, Olympus 7x50's, KOMZ 7x30's

Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Yes, light pollution is a very important matter which is why we have given it its own distinct category within this forum. General chat is for discussions of matters which are not otherwise categorized.

markt

Post by markt »

Jenny wrote:Hi Cliff,

Yes your right, Light Pollution is certainly a major enemy ! Other enemies include (ever increasing ?) cloud cover, and the apparent lack of effective competition between UK dealers.

When I was a student in London, the night sky was pretty aweful in terms of Light Pollution. Now I live in mid Wales, and enjoy really dark skies, but tons of clouds and no local dealers !

My local council have just started turning off 2 out of 3 street lights to save energy and money. This has greatly helped to make the stars more visible at night.

Best Wishes,

Jenny (Powys, UK)
Light pollution is definitely a pain. Around and about me our local council has been replacing the streetlights to semi and full cutoff designs in a rolling programme. While this has the effect of less light going skyward, these new effeicient designs mean at ground level it is actually brighter - actually bright enough to read a newspaper.

I can only hope that Dudley MBC adopt a policy of switching off some of their streetlights as other parts of the country are - however being an urban area i'm sure the prophets of doom will tout crime as a reason not to.

I guess the things we have on our side are the current financial situation and environmental issues. Fingers crossed... :roll:
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Jenny, Paul and Markt
Thanks for responding. In the circumstances I will make my further comments about this particular topic to the Light Pollution Section of the Forum.
Best wishes from Cliff

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al(L)
I just typed out a very lengthy post on this matter.
Unfortunately when I eventually finished typing it and tried to fire it off, my effort seemed to suffer some sort of time out and the post simply disappeared into oblivion.
Feeling a bit naffed off, I leave the matter for now - whether I'll be prepared to bother any further about the light pollution issue I am not sure.
Best of luck from Cliff

brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Your post, Cliff, might have jumped into a parallel universe, in which case you've, no doubt, given them plenty of advice concerning light pollution. :wink:
brian

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

The local newspaper has an article it the "Green Pages" re the 1,800 lights being used on a huge "Christmas Tree" (actually a Giant Redwood) at Wakehurst Place in Sussex which "when lit up...will be visible from the sky on flights to Gatwick." They seem to have missed something as they are praising them for using energy-saving lamps rather than complaing that they are using 1800 lamps to light up the sky. maf
Last edited by mike a feist on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Cliff wrote:Dear al(L)
I just typed out a very lengthy post on this matter.
Unfortunately when I eventually finished typing it and tried to fire it off, my effort seemed to suffer some sort of time out and the post simply disappeared into oblivion.
Cliff
Dear Cliff,

Yes, I've had this happen to me too more than once. Like You, I also felt a bit naffed off when this happened. Nowadays, I try to remember to compose lengthy replies in Notepad then finally "copy and paste " the text into the SPA reply box.

Anyway, keep smiling :)

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian and Brian in any order
Many thanks!
It is nice to think my exploding email might have done a quantum leap.
There is just a chance it might have more value in another universe beyond our own.
I am back in serious grumpy form and will be attacking the matter with gusto.
Best of luck from Cliff