Need to put in a energy saving external light

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Ian Ridley

Post by Ian Ridley »

Some years ago we put in a cheap 150w floodlight to illuminate our garden for a few minutes when we wanted to find and get our cats in at night. We have long ceased using it as it was not re-wired into our mains when we had a new kitchen.

We now want a new light that

- minimises any light pollution
- can illuminate up to the far end of the garden if required
- Is subtle enough to be used as a regular external light if we are out in the garden on a spring/ summer evening

The best I can find it a more directional 150w floodlight at http://tr.im/bumc . But there must be something that I can use with compact fluorescent or even LED bulbs? Any suggestions?
Skywatcher Explorer 150mm F/750 Newtonian f/5;
10 mm and 25 mm eyepieces and x2 Barlow;
10 x 50 Bresser bins.

nealeh

Post by nealeh »

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Deimos

Post by Deimos »

You could always try those cheap, low intensity solar powered LED lights the DIY places sell. Not desperately bright (never used them myself) - probably depends on what you want the light for. They are cheap, cheap and easy to install, low light pollution (I have no idea about the colour of the light), etc.

Ian

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Although I am generally opposed to garden lighting per se, I have noticed that some local gardens here have solar powered free-standing lights that have a spike to put them at the edge of lawns etc. They are quite cheap, can be moved around as required and being low down do not bleed their light into neighbouring gardens. They are just enough to give confidence in the garden in the dark. I imagine these are the things that Deimos suggested. maf

RB

Post by RB »

Have a look here first.

http://www.ile.org.uk/uploads/File/03_s ... ghting.pdf

In my experience (or rather, my friend's experience) the low level solar powered lights on a spike provide nothing more than guidance and do not illuminate any usable area at all. They are also notoriously unreliable. This may be due to the much longer winter nights and shorter days at our latitude.