Street Light being placed in front of house

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

sttarrgazer

Street Light being placed in front of house

Post by sttarrgazer »

Hi,
I just found out today that the local council plan to replace all the street lamps in my street and are relocating them - and placing one right at my front gate. Grrr! I don't do much serious stargazing at the front of my house because of light pollution anyway but the little I could see will now be all but invisible!
Is there anything I can do about this? Is there any way I can protest?
TIA,
Star

RB

Post by RB »

Have a look here ...

http://www.ile.org.uk/index.php?page=lighting_faqs

... specifically at question no. 12

It would be best to talk to the council BEFORE the light is commissioned as it is a much simpler task to resite a lamp post without having to involve the local electricity distributor.

Good luck.

CliffM

Post by CliffM »

Dear Star
Basically you are probably on a loser, unless you have a particularly friendly lighting engineer, or get a strong local councillor prepared to help you.
If you have big problems then you might get the streetlight moved.
However, the lighting engineers are likely to say that the streetlighting has been designed to specific requirements eg distance spacing of the columns so moving your particular column will mess up the overall design. There are several potential complications so far as the lighting engineers are concerned if they move the column eg other residents might ask that lighting columns near them should be moved as well.
I know someone who got a streetlight baffled because it shone through their bedroom window even though they had thick curtains. I mentioned this at a meeting about light pollution I once attended and some street lighting engineers jeered suggesting that I had put the person up to making the complaint.
Another potential problem might be that even if you do get your offending street light moved then the lighting engineers might feel need to put in an additional streetlight to make up for the supposed limited light in the wider gap between lights Resulting in slightly more overall light pollution.
With regards cost of streetlights. my recollection is that in one area in this locality populace about 150,000 going back 20 years I think the street-lighting energy use accounted for 18 percent of the whole "highways maintenance budget". At that time I read there were supposedly about 5 million street lights in the UK increasing 10 percent per annum.
Our residential road had 35 watt street lights, about 6 years ago they were improved to 70 watt on columns a metre higher than before.
I talked to several local residents at the time, needless to say most of them favoured having the new lighting - they also all assumed the new better lighting used the same wattage lights ie 35 as before and the "better lighting was achieved just by using more efficient bulbs.
An astronomy acquaintance in another area asked his local council who had upgraded the street lighting to adjust a street light because it was producing glare in his garden. They adjusted it only to make things worse.
Best of luck from Cliff