Where to live

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

hunterknox

Where to live

Post by hunterknox »

Hi all,

First time post here and I could do with some advice.

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home most of the time and so have a good deal of flexibility in terms of where I can live. The only catch is it has to be somewhere within the Nort West (bar Cumbria), which, according to the data, is probably not ideal.

With that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions as to relatively favourable sites?

davidm61

Post by davidm61 »

Hello

Langley village or Sutton near Macclesfield provide reasonably dark skies. Failing that, and dependant on your budget, Goostry, Siddington and Gawsworth, again in Cheshire, are reasonable areas. A couple of dark sites are listed on the Altrincham AS site, a couple of which are virtually on the doorstep of Langley and Sutton, attesting to the reasonable skies that can be had in that area:

http://www.don.utton.btinternet.co.uk/ADAS/

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie »

I'm afraid that Patrick Moore has beaten you to the best place. Selsey has an unbroken and un-polluted view south and, being sheltered by the Isle of Wight, has the best weather. You might try to find a place in the same street though.
Lawrie

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Yes, I notice that a number of astronomers seem to live (or lived) in Selsey. (The nearby Pagham Harbour is great for birdwatching too.) maf

hunterknox

Post by hunterknox »

Some good suggestions there, thanks David. Selsey would be nice but for the need to commute occasionally.

Lancashire's my home and, lovely though it is, it would have been nice if someone remembered to switch the lights off after the industrial revolution.