birmingham

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

mitchel1111

birmingham

Post by mitchel1111 »

anybody in birmingham have any good viewing points ? where i am there is too much light pollution. would be good if somebody would share there great viewing spot lol cheers

@@

Post by @@ »

he best i can do mitchel http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/images/darksky01.jpg looks like wales or scotland mate :)
jessops 10x50 binos
skymax 127
J Perez 670 guitar :)

markt

Post by markt »

Hmmm, not sure of anywhere locally round me that has any good skies tbh. :?

I'm observing tonight as is clear and best I can get is 2nd / 3rd magnitude unaided eye - quite sad really :(
Meade 5" Refractor, ETX90, Coronado SolarMax40, C8 XLT CF CaK PST
EQ6 Pro, 15x70's, 20x80's
Canon 350D, DMK31

Spike

Brum

Post by Spike »

Hi - I'm a complete newbie to astronomy but I do know that the Birmingham Astronomy Society do a lot of their meets in Lickey Hills. Could be worth a shot.

If (like me) you live the other side of town, I was over at Kingsbury Water Park recently. I reckon it would get pretty dark around there.

Good luck!

paulscan

Post by paulscan »

If I can plug the Birmingham Astronomical Society (just a little). We are down the Licky Hills tonight with a Moon Watch night - part of our IYA events. Could be a good time to pop along to the visitors centre and have a chat.

Other than that, it really depends on what side of town you are, and how far you can travel.

Paul Scanlon
www.science-talks.com
pjs.science-talks.com

Spike

Post by Spike »

Hi Paul - thanks for the info. I'm tempted to come along tonight but it all depends on how quickly my little "angels" get off to sleep! Some quick questions if I may...

Is there a fee?
Is it OK to arrive late? (It's a good old drive to LH for me.)
My scope has been ordered but hasn't arrived yet. The only kit I've really got is some 10x50 bins and a decent book.
Where exactly is this meeting?

From an interested (north-)Brummie novice!
Bresser 10x50 bins
Celestron Omni XLT 150

... remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth. And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause there's naff all down here on Earth

Spike

Post by Spike »

Aha! This answers most of my questions: http://www.birmingham-astronomy.co.uk/
Bresser 10x50 bins
Celestron Omni XLT 150

... remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth. And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause there's naff all down here on Earth

paulscan

Post by paulscan »

1. There is no fee - but the planetarium is £2 (run by the ThinkTank)
2. Late is good, but we will be packing up at about 10pm - they close the gates then.
3. See http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/lickeyhills.bcc for address. Google or TomTom will give you better directions than I can.

The event is being held in the visitors centre, and outside on the patio. There are some talks, and society and member telescopes that you can look through - clouds permitting. Also a planetarium run by the Birmingham ThinkTank (hense the £2 for that).

Please do come along if you can. I won't be there, but any of the BAS members there will be happy to give you any advice.

Also, perhaps you could come down to the club room at Aston University on a Wednesday night 7:30pm. You can see more of what we do, and meet a few more members.

cheers

Paul Scanlon
www.science-talks.com
pjs.science-talks.com

Spike

Post by Spike »

Thanks again, Paul!
Bresser 10x50 bins
Celestron Omni XLT 150

Spike

Post by Spike »

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the BAS do tonight. Rather annoying really, but hey ho. Might go and have a quick nose before I hit the sack!
Bresser 10x50 bins
Celestron Omni XLT 150