Angry LP back garden

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

astrotones

Angry LP back garden

Post by astrotones »

Hey All,

Just gone outside into my Garden too see if the clouds had shifted and WHAM 237865 watts of light straight into my eye's from the new neighbours next door but one. The light is at an angle that it shines directly into my face from any point in my Garden.

Can i ask them to do something about it No chance there new here and with it they have the charm of a rotten fish on a hot summers day!

So what can be done? Any ideas would be greatly recived because there's no way i can even attempt to look through my scope without the danger of blinding myself.

Extremly ****ed off.

James :cry:
Phil Rice

Post by Phil Rice »

You poor bu**er

Phil :cry:
astrotones

Post by astrotones »

I think they got the message when i setup 8 mirror's on my fence and blinded them back each mirror pointed towards each room in there house :D The light is off for now at least..

JAMES
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Th*re ar* a l*t of ast**isk* in th*s thre*d* Is it nec*ss*ry?
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
screwdriver

Post by screwdriver »

Joe i cant see a problem with any of the above posts.We all speak the way we feel.You pull me and ive had PMs off you why cant people post what they want without YOU pulling them.IMHO i do feel you if you dont swear its ok.Some people get very ****** off with things and feel they want to write it,allso some people havent the vocabulary {Im one}.so come on stop being a Jobsworth.Next we will be getting a list of words we can use on this forum :roll:I use many Astronomy forums and never seen Mods acting like you,This is no way a dig its just an observation.
Take care
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Hi screwdriver,

I haven't touched either of the above posts . The asterisks were either put there by Astrotones or Phil themselves or the "automatic censor" was employed. In either case I was just asking if it was necessary. It is a small point which is why I tried to make a joke about it. I was in two minds about whether to say anything as it would draw attention to a small point and perhaps actually you are right, I should'nt have made comment but when you have several posts together with words blotted out it begins to look bit intrusive. I don't mind the odd asterisk or strong word, we all want to express ourselves by whatever means available, but it should be borne in mind that this is a forum for all ages.
Next we will be getting a list of words we can use on this forum
Not a list of words that you can use but there is a list of words you can't use. They will be censored automatically without any interference from a moderator. (Your post was untouched by me) There are practical reasons as well. Some words are not allowed by some people's servers therefore they will have problems reading a message that contains these words.
Last edited by joe on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_Barlow

Post by Chris_Barlow »

astrotones wrote:I think they got the message when i setup 8 mirror's on my fence and blinded them back each mirror pointed towards each room in there house :D The light is off for now at least..

JAMES
Excellent idea! :D

My neighbors light might get reflected into their bedroom window next time they leave it on all night again too! :twisted:
astrotones

Post by astrotones »

Just to update.

The light hasnt been ON since i think they got the message :shock: :D

James :D
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Could we have a list of those words that we cannot use so we know not to use them? Only joking!!!!
Mike (Silly reggub!)
stella

Post by stella »

Here's the list
poof
fairy
fem
chink
gook
wigger
raghead
camel lover (or cruder variants)
sheep lover (or cruder variants)
goat lover (or cruder variants)
frog
white trash
pigs (when used to describe police officers)
queen
fruit
swish
puff
closet queen
butch
dyke
fag

So remember your 5 portions of fruit per day.
:)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Oh dear! Stella.

I guess the Mods will have to ban you permanently for publishing that list here :shock:

How did you manage to avoid the censor?

Anyway, on behalf of Kermit the ****, I protest :lol:
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
nealeh

Post by nealeh »

stella wrote:Here's the list poof ... etc fag
Mind if I pass those on for psychological analysis Stella?!

I also find that my email spam filters do their best to deny me seeing any emails from anyone using Virgin as their ISP!
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Err, next question. :? :?
stella

Post by stella »

Don't blame the messenger:
The list comes from Space.com forum

<http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php?Ca ... o=0&fpart=>
Kaustav

Lights

Post by Kaustav »

astrotones,
I have the same problem. I tried to politely ask the neighbours to reposition their sensors but they told me to go out more and get a life, so I bought a cheap narrow beam torch and I shine it directly at the sensor. It thinks it's day time and never comes on. It started ******* my neighbours off as they like hanging out in their garden a lot and eventually they re-positioned their sensor without me having to utter another word about it to them. Now-a-days their light still does come on when I go in to my garden but only if I walk right up to the egde of my garden fence which is obviously not a problem as I'm plonked smack in the middle of the garden out of sensor range. I used to use a laser pen to same effect but I've found the laser over heats within a short space of time and turns itself off,plus the tiny cells aren't rechargable, unlike my cheap little torch into which I put 2 x rechargable AAA's. I now use a wind up torch actually. Two minutes of winding gets me eighty minutes of light and eighty mins of respite from ten gazillion watt security light. A little stray light from the torch is a small price to pay.
Kaustav Bhattacharya
>> http://kaustav.uk.com/unisphere/ - An online magazine about Astronomy, Science, Social Media and Society.
>> Follow me on Twitter @jupiterorbit