Xmas Lights

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Mike Feist

Xmas Lights

Post by Mike Feist »

My goodness (polite swearing!), did you see the bit in the Daily Mail about the chap who spends £5000 each year lighting up his house around Xmas? Perhaps he should be given the Light Pollution Booby Prize of the Month - box of wickless candles! The arrogance of it, expecting others to put up with it. I know he uses it to raise monery for charity but why not just send them thte money spent on the fittings and electricity? And what a waste of energy too!
Mike
davep

Post by davep »

I don't know how much he spends but the house over the road from me can't be that far off in terms of the total cost of the stuff he puts on display. In this case I don't even think that there's a charity angle to it either, it's just "for the Children". :roll:

He's getting on a bit now and has hinted a couple of times that I might like to give him a hand putting them up.
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

He is either getting into the seasonal spirit....or he is a nutter. This is a debate I have each year with my wife. I'm only interested in one kind of seasonal spirit.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
davep

Post by davep »

joe wrote:I'm only interested in one kind of seasonal spirit.
It has to be seasonal? :shock:
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

davep wrote:It has to be seasonal? :shock:
Mount Gay rum on the beach in Barbados in january.....that's seasonal enough for me :wink:
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
pete-6

Post by pete-6 »

I don't think it's something that you can stop - though I did hear that someone somewhere was served with an ASBO :shock: for over-exuberant Xmas lighting! I llike the 'wickless candle' idea - perhaps someone can come up with a substance which looks and smells like candle wax, but is completely non-inflammable. Make up a box of them and send it to the poor b****rd! Then watch as he spends the whole evening trying to light the perishing things! :twisted:
Pete
mark_smith

Post by mark_smith »

£5000 what a waste. Could be a nice big telescope for that. Haven’t seen to many decorations around my end but every year it gets worst streets have competitions to see who can have the best.

Mark
SKYWATCHER SKYHAWK-114M
114mm (4.5") f/1000
|Pics|
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike et al
I am surprised it has taken so long for this sort of issue to come up on the forum.
BBC TV local North West has regularly featured and actually been promoting "Christmas lights" on the exteriors of house and gardens for several years now. A couple of years back "new Scientist" magazine published a letter I sent to them on the subject after the magazine actually published an article extolling the merits of such exterior Christmas lights.
Unfortunately BBC (and particularly in North West England) seem to encourage these outside house Christmas lights every year. Our BBC local TV news seem to run an unofficial competition every year and actually show examples of the "better" lights over the Christmas period. Best wishes from the Grumy Old Codger Cliff
davep

Post by davep »

Cliff wrote:A couple of years back "new Scientist" magazine published a letter I sent to them on the subject after the magazine actually published an article extolling the merits of such exterior Christmas lights.
:shock: New Scientist? Merits of making your house look like Blackpool? I can't even begin to imagine what they were. Can you recall?