5,000,000 Candle Power Hand Hand Torch!

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Mike

5,000,000 Candle Power Hand Hand Torch!

Post by Mike »

Whilst visiting a mainstream DIY chain over the weekend (to get tools to remove a fallen tree!) I noticed that they had (piled high) on offer 1,000,000 candle power hand held torches for a tenner.

To make matters worse, whilst queuing at the till a bloke in front of me had a 5,000,000 candle power hand held torch complete with 2 lead acid batteries for £14!

This is crazy (and i don't mean the price), permanent daytime for £14.

What hope have we got to preserve the dark(ish) night time enviroment, when items like this are on sale. Maybe you should have a permit licence to own and use one of these.... Surely, one of these are of equal (or more) danger to eyes, overhead aircraft, etc than the laser pens(?)

It would be like 'Third Encounters' if one of your neighbours used one of these.

Mike.

Brian

Post by Brian »

I reckon having one of those shone at you constitutes a common assault.
Can you cook an egg on the thing? :mrgreen:
How many candlepower were the WW2 searchlights?

My Bruv-in-law has a 750,000 candle power (toy?) and that comes with a warning about damage to eyesight :shock:

Bah!
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

nealeh

Re: 5,000,000 Candle Power Hand Hand Torch!

Post by nealeh »

Mike wrote:a bloke in front of me had a 5,000,000 candle power hand held torch complete with 2 lead acid batteries for £14!
If it's anything like the one I got from Woolies, full power of the spotlight will drain the battery in around thirty minutes. There is however (on mine at least) a 'dimmer switch' which, if used, extends the battery life.
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Brian

Candlepower - WW2 searchlight

Post by Brian »

OK, found out that WW2 searchlight produced about 8 million candlepower, so that thing at 5 million is a quite literally a hand-held mobile searchlight.

Ain't the march of technology just :roll: wonderful?
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
Ro-Ro roof shed

Mike

Post by Mike »

With WW2 Searchlight technology now available for the average job public, it's a shame the trend of blackouts didn't continue.

Does anyone have an air-raid siren?? :lol:

Mike.

Brian

Searchlights

Post by Brian »

Perhaps we need to take a leaf out of the AR Warden's book (Bill Pertwee, Dad's Army?) and learn to shout "Put that bl**dy light out" as loud as we can :lol: .

Don't forget to put your (white?) steel hat on first though
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

Ro-Ro roof shed

Hampshire Astronomer

Post by Hampshire Astronomer »

HI

I have a 1,000,000 candle power torch which is used for security purposes but must admit it aint worth much as the battery last for about 13 minutes and takes 4 hours to recharge

Although people will go out and buy these torches I dont think their prolonged use will be long lived....Oh and by the way I NEVER shine my torch above the horizontal

Dave
David Scanlan

Director SPA Variable Star section

http://www.popastro.com/variablestar/index.php

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al
I am sorry to be a Jonah (I am sure i spelt that wrong!). But I think its a bit late in the day to start thinking about the ongoing relentless march of loght pollution. I can only suggest selling up all your existing tackle and going Sun observing. Of course we can always still observe the Moon and Venus as well and maybe the odd other planet occasionally.
Best wishes from grumpy old Cliff

Hampshire Astronomer

Post by Hampshire Astronomer »

Hi Cliff,

I'm flabberghasted (is that right) do you really feel that light pollution will be the death of amateur astronomy in the UK

If so....don't feel that way my friend.....giving up means the situation goes unchecked and therefore rampant.

By getting us jumping on the band wagon and keep that steam roller rolling we will get someway in stamping out light pollution

Dave
David Scanlan

Director SPA Variable Star section

http://www.popastro.com/variablestar/index.php