Barnsley intends to light up the Night Sky

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

It is Robin, Paul. On this page.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
spawebmaster
Site Admin

Post by spawebmaster »

Excellent news. Harness the power of the press and make Barnsley see that what they perceive to be forward-looking is actually a step backwards and will show the town in a very negative, er, light.

Paul
donnah

Barnsley Halo of Blight

Post by donnah »

Hello everyone,

I am so gladdened to see so much interest and opposition to proposed developments by Councils who are, in essence, about to flout the Government's Act of April 2005 concerning nuisance artificial light.

I will declare an interest here as I only came across your Society due to my opposition as a Councillor to Barnsley's HALO. It seems, however, that Barnsley is not the only Authority intent on madness. It has come to my attention that Stockport is toying with the idea of a sky laser. Any more info. on this as my efforts in Barnsley may be of help?

I am doing everything within my power to oppose the Barnsley project and I have hopefully contacted everyone who has concerns. I feel that this will make not one iota of difference as it seems that the powers that be are intent on their HALO. There have been 'consultations' with the public but the amount of people that attended were a teeny weeny representation compared to the population of Barnsley.

Personally, I have not met one person in Barnsley, apart from within the Town Hall, who is remotely in favour of the HALO. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favour of the renewal of a former mining town but within reason.
Barnsley still has, I know, a flat cap and whippet image nationally but I fear the proposed project will only make the town a point of ridicule.

Besides this , many people do not realise that Barnsley is surrounded by beautiful countryside that we are very proud of.

Do not be fooled by myself being a Councillor. My husband is a very amateur astronomer and I am a 'bit of a hippy.' Issues over any form of pollution and unneccessary waste of energy, which the Halo is likely to present, are very important to me.

Is anyone aware of Kevan Shaw Lighting Developments of Edinburgh? They are doing the feasibility study for the Halo. It would be interesting if they are the consultants for other projects of this nature.

Anyhow, rest assured I will do my best. Even if it gets the thumbs up I will still battle on and hopefully be able to advise on similar projects.

Please let me know of any similar concerns present or future.

Donna
nealeh

Post by nealeh »

donnah wrote:I am doing everything within my power to oppose the Barnsley project and I have hopefully contacted everyone who has concerns.
I was surprised to receive an email from you on this matter. As I have not previously contributed to this thread may I ask why, and how you obtained the email address?
Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
spawebmaster
Site Admin

Post by spawebmaster »

I can't answer for donnah but can I just point out that your email address shows on your profile and at the end of your every posting. You also call yourself "spa" in it so perhaps it is not surprising that you are contacted.

Paul
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Donna,

Welcome to the SPA Forum, and thank you for your post. It's good to hear that you are doing everything within your power to oppose the project - I'm sure other SPA members will find encouragement in that.

Jeff.
donnah

Post by donnah »

Thanks for the welcome,

but to business. Hopefully I should be getting feedback from some techno guys about the feasibility of the project. The more info.I can glean the better.I know Colin Henshaw has contacted other Barnsley councillors. There are over 60 and I bet he has had a poor response.

Keep you posted.

Donna
donnah

Post by donnah »

Just to keep you all informed.

I have requested a copy of the feasibility study of Kevan Shaw lighting from the Council. As an elected member I am well within my rights to do this but, through experience I doubt it will be made available to me as soon as BMBC recieves it.

I am to recieve my copy of the agenda and minutes for next Full Council tomorrow. If there is an opportunity I will raise the issue of the halo in Full Council. I have done all my homework for this,thanks to you all and everyone I was advised to contact on this issue.

Wish me luck. It should be a good one. I am assured of support from opposition Councillors.

Donna