Light pollution filters?!

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Pusscat

Light pollution filters?!

Post by Pusscat »

Hi,
I was looking at 'inexpensive' light pollution filters and have come across a couple that people may be able to comment on.

They are the 'Baader Neodymium' (£50 ish for 2") and the 'Antares nebula fiter' (£60 ish for 2").

Has anyone had any experience f these filters in lightly polluted skies? Can't quite afford the expnsive ones at the mo..!

Cheers
MikeMS

Post by MikeMS »

Pussy cat.

I don't often go into the light pollution forum, this could be my first time actually. Given the number of replies, it could be a unfrequented place by all.

I don't even have any experience of these filters, so been no help what so ever.

I assume you must be using 2" eyepieces to need 2" filters. You could try posting in the telescope bit for this sort of enquiry.

I will post your question on another forum I use to see if anyone has an answer and PM you any replies (I will be interested in the response aswell).

Regards

Mike MS
MikeMS

Post by MikeMS »

Sorry, should have typed Puss cat, not pussy cat

Mike MS
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Yes you might be right Mike.

Pusscat there was a small thread HERE but in general these filters do seem to make a difference. I have the expensive type and it certainly works. I suppose you have to ask yourself if the expense is worth not having to load up the car and drive for an hour to a dark sky every time you want a decent view. A good filter is next best thing.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
Pusscat

Post by Pusscat »

Many thanks for the replies....very nearly bagged myself a 2" lumicon on ebay by my connection failed 45 seconds to go....went for a very reasonable price as well!