Street Light

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Gregger

Street Light

Post by Gregger »

I live in a very nice village 4miles outside Burton On Trent.

My Garden backs on to a sunken road and fields. However this is a street light about 30yds away which is dazzling me.

The road is rarely used, there's nothing in my village so no one goes through it. The road leads nowwhere.

Has anyone every managed to get the Council to turn off a street light or am I wasting my time?
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Here at the Foredown Tower we have a street light that just peeks above the fence of the grounds from which we observe. I made some overtures to get it shielded but never did manage to get it done ...and the FT is a council property. But maybe I should have pressed harder. Fortunately nature has helped as the hedge in front of the fence has grown taller each year...
Still notthing ventured nothing gained.
Mike
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al
A couple of years back our local council upgraded our local road lighting - increasing the column height and doubling the wattage. My wife complained to the council that the streetlight adjacent to our house was disturbing her sleep (even through our quite dense curtains). The council fitted a baffle which reduced the bedroom glare problem.
Best of luck from the Grumpy Old Codger Cliff
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

The street light's number has been taken! and a letter written with some of the articles from Dark Skies.

Let u know how it goes
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

Had an odd "success" over this.

I wrote to the council with the offending lights number, enclosed some photos of how it affects my back garden. They 've been out and sprayed the back of the lght black.

Unfortunately they've done the wrong light! They managed to do the one at the front of my house which they must have thought was shining into my bedroom!

I Have to laugh, what a balls up and what an amateur job they've made of it.

Anyway, a "site visit" (sounds terribly grand) is planned for Thursday!
adrazz

Post by adrazz »

I think if you just keep pressing the issue of it keeping you awake at night and say that you class it as a public disturbance they will come out and do something.
Adrazz
Gregger

Post by Gregger »

And the official response now is they can't put a reflector on the offending light as they have " no resources"

Oh the frustration

Time to contact the local councillor then!

(or get my catapult out)