garden lighting

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

astroeyes

mediation

Post by astroeyes »

Thanks Lawrie,
I am trying very hard to be polite and to date I have been. It is quite difficult to stay calm when the door is slammed in your face though and every approach you make is met with indifference, or worse.
I have tried the nice letter approach with no response; if the problem continues I'll write another letter then contact the Local Authority for their assistance.
Regards,
David
ye103910

Non-sympathetic neighbours

Post by ye103910 »

Hello David

My sympathies for your non-sympathetic neighbour. My husband and myself have almost a similar situation to you. We have an extremely bright neighbours light coming in from the bottom of our garden, which they tend to have on until the morning hours despite our requests that they either redirect the light downwards, or turn it off. Our actually problem is though that the light comes into the upstairs rooms of our house. Observing isnt too much of a problem as we have a row of tall conifers that reach about 10ft high or so at the bottom of our garden and so the glare doesnt affect our observing.

Regards
astroeyes

Post by astroeyes »

Hi YE103910,
I feel for you, that is so inconsiderate of your neighbours. Why are people so inconsiderate to each other these days? Noise and lighting is the blight of modern society. In your case you have a very good case to apply the new 'Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act' that is now applicable to situations such as yours. Although the law has passed it is not yet operable but should be by April this year. My local council are well acquainted with it and I should think will be very busy when it finally becomes law. It is just not acceptable to shine lights into other peoples houses especially late at night. My daughter suffered the same problem. Her neighbours told her to 'get thicker curtains', which seems to be a fairly standard reply these people have at their disposal.
Thanks for writing, good luck!!
David
ye103910

Post by ye103910 »

Hi David

I may well visit the council in April about our neighbours light directed on our upstairs bedrooms. For now though I've bought black out linings which I've attached to the back of the curtains. It doesn't make the curtains look very nice but at least we can get some sleep these days.

All the best!

Yvonne