It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Post subject: Frack off! ..
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:49 am 

That was one angry demonstrator's placard response to exploratory fracking on Lancashire's Fylde coast recently. As skywatchers, we might wonder what the fracking process could possibly contribute to light pollution, but, consider this from yesterday's "i":
"The UK countryside could be dotted with hundreds of flames several metres high after the boss of Britain's biggest fracking company warned that production of shale gas would involve 'flaring off' of leakages. Andrew Austin of IGas said ... flaring was necessary because it was bad for the environment to allow methane leakages to escape into the atmosphere.
Other fracking companies, such as Cuadrilla ... are also expected to flare off any leakages relating to their shale gas activities in the UK. Green campaigners argue that flaring is environmentally hazardous, producing carbon dioxide, as well as noise and light pollution."
So far, there's no fracking activity in my area, although they've tried exploratory oil drilling on the nearby high moors. There are bound to be some skywatchers whose beautiful hobby will be affected by fracking flares in some locations.

Last edited by brian livesey on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Frack off! ..
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 pm 

Dear Brian
As I keep saying, I sit on the fence about many aspects of climate change\global warming.
I do not know much about "fracking" and especially about the finer points of the processes involved.
I think the Fylde is a particularly nice agricultural region and it would be a pity to destroy its character. Though perhaps not densely populated I think it is also populated by some fairly well off people who might be fairly influential.
However, from what I gather the USA does a lot of "fracking" and though not a perfect green sollution it is reckonned it will go a long way to helping USA to meet its CO2 emission reduction targets (?).
I'd personally need to know a lot more about "fracking" before feeling confident about understanding its benefits or failings.
However, with regards the flaring\light pollution problem I wonder if the unwanted methane could be all collected and disposed of some other way - but I suspect just flaring it is very cheap and if the methane were collected what would be done with it???
With regards flaring causing light pollution - I don't know how much flaring at night would be required - would it cause significant light pollution and if it did could flaring be stopped at night !!!????
Another light pollution problem possibly much worse than flaring might (?) be caused by "fracking sites" being floodlit at night - for safety and security reasons ???? I can understand locals being worried about traffic problems although once up and running I don't know how much traffic would be generated ?
As I say I sit on the fence about many of these issues.
I watched a TV programme discussing GREEN issues - one of the Green lobbyists was very concerned about wild life and problems about animal extinctions caused by humans. From what he said he travels around the world one helluvalot.
I couldn't help wondering how he got to places - I'm pretty sure he doesn't just walk and swim.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:17 am 

The Cuadrilla frackers are coming to my area, according to this week's local newspaper.
The BGS ( British Geological Survey ) reckons that the Carboniferous rocks of Lancashire and parts of adjoining Yorkshire hold something like 1,300 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.
Will there soon be a metres-high methane gas flare behind the back garden fence? :shock: Hey, I could run pipes from the flare point to the kitchen oven and central heating boiler. :wink:

Last edited by brian livesey on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 am 

Does anyone know if methane flares give off particulate pollution too?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:09 pm 

. Hi Brian,
I consulted the Oracle i.e. a chemist in the industry.

He says that it depends on the air methane mixture.
If there is not enough air it will burn with a yellow flame and then there will be soot.
If the air methane mixture is correct it will burn with a blue flame and they will be very little particulate matter.

He would be surprised if every well or head would need a flair.

He thinks the earthquake problem is overemphasised.

His company also thinks that there is less gas present than claimed but there are still probably a lot.

I reckon you need some big mirrors to put behind the flair to heat your house and to give light.

Perhaps we will go back to gas mantles for street lighting.
I don't know if there are any light pollution filters to deal with that.
I think that previously it was mentioned here that there are a few gas lights perhaps in Lincoln's Inn Fields.

My pal Hal still makes spelling mistakes and I've told him to go and stand in the corner.
And to write 100 lines saying I must spell proper.
but he doesn't listen to me even then.

Regards David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:10 am 

I don't know enough about the fracking process to say "Aye" or "Nay" to it David. The local community to be affected by fracking should have information provided from both sides of the fracking divide as to the consequences of fracking in the area.
Then, an informed borough-wide referendum should take place to decide "for" or "against" fracking - but it won't happen. What will probably happen is that Cuadrilla will offer a "sweetener", as the wind turbine company did, promising 1% of its profits to the borough.