Good news for once

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Phil Rice

Good news for once

Post by Phil Rice »

My local free paper (yourlocalguardian.co.uk) for the Elmbridge area has just announced that £500,000 is to be spent on replacing all the street lights in the borough. There is some opposition from some who would like the potholes repaired first (try walking instead of driving!), but the reason for the post is to ask if there is some sort of reasonable measure to assess the effectiveness of the improvements.

I ask this as the council does want to hear comments from residents.

I will obviosuly ask the CfDS which also has a local rep in my area.

Any thoughts?

Can you believe that a council takes light pollution seriousy.

Thanks to Bob Mizon and his team of volunteers.

Phil :lol:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Phil
A tricky one this!
However, it is something if someone has attacked the lighting improvement idea on the basis that the money would be better spent on repairing the roads. Perhaps the once apparently irressistable increase in lighting is now less acceptable and being resisted?
One thing I would suggest is that you try to find out what the streetlighting improvement actually involves.
It probably means new lighting columns (probably taller than the old ones!), new lanterns\luminaires (and probably higher wattage than the old ones as well). When they improved our local street lighting here about three years ago that is what they did. Few local reasidents realised that the wattage of the new High Pressure Sodium lighting is twice the wattage of the old Low pressure Sodium lighting. So improved lighting usually means using more electricity and increasing taxation cos of energy use.
Best wishes from Cliff
Phil Rice

Post by Phil Rice »

Thanks Cliff

I have e-mailed my local CfDS rep for further info/advice. I will let you and the forum know of developments (good or bad)/

Phil