It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:16 pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:48 pm 

I read an article about a fellow astronomer who had trouble with his neighbours (light sensor) security light which kept coming on. He came up with an engenious solution by pointing one of those laser pens directly at the light sensor to fool it in to thinking its daytime.

I noticed that every street light has one of these sensors (or Photo Electric Cell (PEC) ) on the top of the street light. Anyone know if the same trick can be done on these sensors too ? Sure would help me as I have an annoyingly placed street light right on the other side of the fence! (Notably the older orange type street lights, not the new narrow field, downward facing one's)

Sure would be great to switch it off after say 11pm with a bit of trickery!

Anyone else tried this ? know any good methods ?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yes it has been done and debated here before but you couldn't possibly want to do something that is......... :shock: illegal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:37 pm 

of course not, perish the thought :?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:44 pm 

Thanks for bringing my attention to this way of avoiding neighborly light pollution Vega!

I'll make more effort not to point a red-dot laser at the neighbors security light sensor in future even though it turns on whenever I pass through my door and lights up the chimneys across the road with a 500w halogen at 2am! :P :D

Post subject: It really does work
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:07 pm 

It really does work, but I have stopped using laser pens as the batteries die very quickly or the laser over-heats and shuts down. Now I just use one of those wind-up torches which lasts a good 80 mins with just 2 mins cranking, or 8 hours on a mains charge. I have wrapped a strip of thick black card around the mouth of the torch so the light coming from it is tightly directed. I just balance the torch on my neighbours wall and point it right at their 500 Watt lamp and it works wonders. The light never comes on.

It never occurred to me to try this on street lighting! LOL Just imagine... strategically placed windup torches all along a road... with some odd bloke rushing around every 80 minutes "doing something with his hands" ... Oh god. LOL

Kaustav.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:57 pm 

Quote:
It never occurred to me to try this on street lighting! LOL Just imagine... strategically placed windup torches all along a road... with some odd bloke rushing around every 80 minutes "doing something with his hands" ... Oh god. LOL

LOL :lol: Could be a new course for school leavers :twisted: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:28 pm 

Street Lighting!!!!!! Boy you should live by me.
3 in front of the bungalow in the road
2 At the end of the road about 25 Yards away on the main drag
Back garden 2 showing between the houses and right in my face
2 In the next road also shining into my gob!!!
And to cap it all Overspill on the sky from all the lights along the Prom.

Things are getting desperate I'm begining to think like John Rambo and it looks like "Lock and Load" is on the Horizon. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AJ.

p.s. Are local Councillors fair game???????????

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:21 am 

I had exactly the same idea myself a few years ago. I bought one of these pen lasers, and one night from my bedroom window I aimed it at the photocell at the top of the street-light that was polluting my back yard. :evil: The result was unsuccessful, and the light blazed on. However, I have since seen and used the more powerful green lasers that can dispatch a beam about two kilometres in length. I have not been able to test one of these out on a street-light, so I have no idea how effective they would be, but I suggest if anyone has one they try it out.

Colin Henshaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:24 pm 

I have the same problem in the country (Flora, Mississippi). I asked the utility company for help but it fell on deaf ears. I liked the idea of the light pen or light triggering the sensor. I may try to mount a cheap mirror on top of the light (over the sensor) and try the light trick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:54 am 

A problem with fooling the light sensor with a laser is that the lamp can turn back on ten minutes later.
As the saying goes: You can fool all of the lamps some of the time, but you can't fool some of the lamps all of the time :lol: .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:58 pm 

. Black pop socks works every time or at least until the Highway agency lorry lift arrives.
Or so I am led to believe.

Perhaps we can encourage some endangered species of bird that builds very large nests to make their home on top of these streetlights.
are Storks protected birds?

Regards David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:10 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Recently the various trees and hedges in and around my Close have been tidied up and trimmed. This is great for crepuscular and daytime views so I can see more of Southwick Hill etc to watch setting Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury etc BUT now when I stand on my front doorstep I am bombarded by two streetlights in the Close itself, one by the garages, one in the adjacent road and one iluminating a pathway. Views from upstairs westward is also additionally spoilt by a nearby hedge which nicely trimmed back reveals a bulkhead lamp which is always on in the nearby flats. The new building work at the College now hides the SE apparent horizon as seen from the Close where one once often saw Mercury in the mornings. One positive point is that the new carpark for the College has full-cutoff fittings... pity about the horrible globe lamb at its entrance has not been replaced though. regards maf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:47 pm 

Why not have a word with the college principal? He or she might "see the light".

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:58 pm 

Us solar observers just laugh at light pollution!!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:56 pm 

Some of us can't live on solar alone.