It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Post subject: . Local streetlights
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:33 pm 

. About one month ago new streetlights were erected in the main road.
The lamp heads seem to be identical to those in the side streets. Except that the columns are perhaps 40 feet high on the main road, but only 20 feet high in the side roads.

Yesterday I noticed that one of the columns had a different head with a Wi-Fi antenna on the top. It seemed to be an LED lamp. I took photographs of both the old and the new lamp heads. The new lamp head was lit in the middle of the day, which seems to happen when new lamp are installed until they work to the proper times.
I wondered why the new lamps had no WiFi antenna, it was because they were temporary until the LED heads arrived.

Today, I was surprised to see that all of the lamp columns on the main road now have LED lamp heads.
Looking at the photographs the rectangular array seem to be 10×8 making a total of 80 LED lamps per head. The units are very flat but I don't know how good the cut off is.
Campaign for Dark Skies say that LED lamps are harmful to humans and non humans alike.

Besides this, the CCTV road camera now sports a Swedish Wi-Fi unit on the top of the column near to the camera.
My brother thinks that this can control other cameras up to nominally 100 m but probably up to 50 yards away which are hidden inside alleys etc.
This system is cheaper than providing each camera with its own link to the control room.

In addition, on the top of the library there is a square white panel which may be a mobile phone antenna. It is about 10 inches to 1 ft.².
Apparently, the size of an antenna is related to the wavelength used, with shorter wavelengths using smaller antenna?

So technology rapidly advances.
The latest thing I see is the quest for quantum computers.
They'll probably quite quickly realise that human beings are a nuisance.
All they will need to do is deprive us of water, food and fuel.
They may decide to keep a few of us to work as drones.
We cannot say that we have not been warned in our mad quest for new technology.

Regards David

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: . Local streetlights
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:54 pm 

. For some reason the new LED lamps in the main road have been switched on 24 hours a day.
I took some very short exposure photographs, about 1/2000 of a second and although there are 80 LEDs i.e. an array 10×8, only 60 of them are actually lit.
There is an X pattern of lights numbering 20 which are not lit.
So it may be that they can either have 60 lit, 20 lit or 80 lit.
Presumably, they will use them at one third power if they want, maybe late at night.
Who knows what they are doing, I don't think they know themselves.

Regards, David

Post subject: Re: . Local streetlights
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:37 pm 

Dear David,

this is our second winter since the local streetlights were changed to the taller, but fewer, LED type. It seems that these lights do dim somewhat after about 1.00UT, if the light levels in out front bedroom are anything to go by. I'm convinced that my skies are darker since the change, but I don't have any in direct view, as our row of houses is between me and them.

So having had a year or so to digest their effect, have to say I'm reasonably happy with them,

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed