Post by Brian »

The devastating impact of light pollution | Alyn Wallace | TEDxAberystwyth

Youtube Video, 19mins runtime approx..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOZ0dG_NG2k

Just passing this on,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Re: The devastating impact of light pollution | Alyn Wallace

Post by mike a feist »

The devastating impact of dreadful weather, persistent cloud and rain, is a much worse problem now to observers + skywatchers than any light pollution, in my opinion. It has also damaged/ altered wildlife patterns and the eternal grey skies are soooo depressing. I bet the bottom has dropped out of the local telescope business too. At least one could avoid the worse patches of light pollution by carefully placement of observing sites, or limiting targets to bright ones like the Moon, planets or Sun. regards maf
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

We have to accept the climatic vagaries of living in an anticyclonic region, with the option to emigrate. Remember the good summer we had last year? :D
Last edited by brian livesey on Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Option to emigrate! I fear that where ever one emigrates to, if one can or wants to do that, may well be a matter of 'from frying pan into the fire'. Actual real fire, as relatives in Australia are experiencing at the moment. regards maf
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Who cares, I mean it who really cares, no one

OR should I say NO ONE who can do anything about it

I CARE, you care, we care, it is like global warming............................. too ............ late
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
scilover

Re: The devastating impact of light pollution | Alyn Wallace |

Post by scilover »

Interesting video, really informative! More attention should be brought to this issue. Thanks for sharing this!