It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:41 am 

Pauln wrote:
I am just to the south west of Birmingham in Bromsgrove. I am not far from the Clent Hills and the Lickey Hills, not sure what the light is like from those. I am not a member of a local group and am very much a beginner, but have thought of joining Worcester. Would be interested if anyone else observes down this way.

Hi Paul,
I have just joined this forum. I am also in Bromsgrove, and the light pollution seems to be getting worse each year. I just emailed the Vicar of Hanbury Church to ask permission to view from the Church yard. The view of the Southern Sky is fantastic from there. I have only been there in daylight but I imagine it should be quite dark.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:23 am 

Hi All Brummies out there,

I wanted ask if Clent Hills has any flat surfaces where i can rest my dobson. Are any of you willing to meet up this month, hoping we get some clear skies? Had a look on Google where Clent hills is and its a pretty straight forward route for me on M42. I can do a PM for those who wish to meet up and get some dates together that are ok for us.

Regards,

10" Skywatcher Dob
Philips SPC900NC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 pm 

Hello all,

I'm not too far - over in Coventry.

Am looking for a safe dark site.

For some of the other comments on where & weather watch - I use these 2 sites :

Cloud coverage : http://www.sat24.com/

Good sky areas : http://www.mydarksky.com/map.aspx?lpl=uk (as detailed in the Dark Sky thread)

I don't think you have to travel far, it's just finding a place ........

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:26 am 

i have found that using fishing holydays fishing by day and using a scope at night as a way of beating the light pollution , you can rent a cottage or accomodation quite cheaply as a group or familly this will give you the best dark sights to choose from arround the west midlands , having returned after 12 years in the usa i have just replaced all my equipiment with a sky pro 8 inch goto system and hope to spend my time fishing and observing whenever possable , for a group of people the costs are not that bad, hope this helps some of those stuck in major pollution spots