anything i can do?

Discuss the greatest threat to amateur astronomy today

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore, JohnM

Matthew

anything i can do?

Post by Matthew »

hi all

From my observing spot (velux attic windows) there is a huge ex-industrial mill about 400 meters away. At night, this mill has permanent security lighting, with 2 spotlights pointing downwards on each side. the spotlights are extremely bright, probabally in the region of 500,000 candlepower. From my spot, four spotlights are viewable, but three of the are no problem as they are pointing towards the ground and shielded.
One of the lights however, is pointing out from the building at a 90 degree angle, probabally to illuminate the car park or something. I live in a village and this is very annoying as there is not much other light pollution here, and the mill is huge against the sklyline. The floodlight is ruining my observing!

is there anything i can do to get them to point it at the ground? would a letter have much effect, or would i have to contact the local council?

thanks in advance

Matt
Orchard47

Post by Orchard47 »

Contact the Campaign for Dark Skies at http://www.dark-skies.org/main.htm#contact They are very helpful.
Regards, Chris.

14 inch Dob
6 inch Refractor
15 X 80 Bins
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Matthew
i think Chris is right to suggest you contact the Campaign for Dark Skies for advice. I worked for a local council for 40 years and had quite a lot of contact with lighting engineers ,town planners and environmental health officers. Since I retired I tentatively discussed my interest in astronomy with a local planning officer I got fairly friendly with. He said that really I cold not expect to do astronomy at the location I live in (of course it is a pretty well built up area here). I think you said you live in a village. I think it might be worth your while sounding out your neighbours and see if you can get them on your side about the glaring lights you mentioned. From what I seem to read many people who live in rural areas dont like excessive lighting so you might be on a winner if you get people on yout side. the few neighbours who know about my astronomy interest have some simpathy but generally speaking they seem to want brighter and brighter streetlights. NOt many of them reakise that when our local authority "imprved" our road lighting that they increased the wattage from 35 watt to 70 watts, When I told one neighbour I am quite friendly with he said he thought I was wrong and that the council just used better "bulbs". We actually got one more streetlight than before and the columns are 1 n etre taller than before.
Best wishes from feeling Grumpy again Cliff
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

thank you for the replies.

I manged to sort this quite easily at the weekend:

my local watering hole is close to the old mill - a quick word with the landlord pointed me in the direction of the mills night security officer - who happens to be a good friend of my old man. A quick word with him, and the next morning he was on the roof tilting the light back towards the ground. Apparently it had been tilted away to illuminate a night fishing match on the mills lake!!

back to my nice dark(ish) skies :D
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Matthew
Great stuff. Glad you solved your problem relatively easily.
Best wishes from Cliff, Still grumpy about light pollution round here though!
Asteeleleith

light pollution

Post by Asteeleleith »

Hi all
Of course i worry about the olympics coming to london, i come from there myelf so i am glad about the prosperity this will bring,

But then more dreaded lights it will leave behind. :-(

Al
Engineer, businessman, and Astronomer
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Al
I think I agree with your concerns about the potential problem with regards the London Olympics. Indeed I am inclined to suggest " absolutely certain" rather than "potential". However, do yo mind me asling if anything in particular prompted to mention the matter just now.
Just curious ? the Grumpy Old Codger Cliff
Asteeleleith

Answer to cliffs question

Post by Asteeleleith »

Simply the issue came to mind, and i am the kind of spontaneous outspoken person who would make such a comment :-)
Engineer, businessman, and Astronomer